After market bateries

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fixanythingman72

After market bateries

Post by fixanythingman72 »

I have an EX500 that came with an after market battery, it seems to be the source of intermittent power to the radio. It also doesn't charge correctly. On a rapid rate charger it flashes red as the charging cycle finishes. I want to replace it but it seems the OEM batteries for these radios are pretty expensive. I usually stick with OEM but wanted to look around a bit. Has anyone had good experience with a specific aftermarket battery manufacturer?

Thanks in advance!
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: After market bateries

Post by HLA »

multiplier batteries have always done me good, especially their high capacity batteries
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
fixanythingman72

Post by fixanythingman72 »

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately it doesn't look like Multiplier makes batteries for the "EX" professional radios.
CircleBat

Post by CircleBat »

just be warned that alot of those ebay batteries for the ex500 are cheap but the casing will split.. some will overheat.. bad experience.. stick with the oem or the OSI batteries
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

I have had good luck with the Power Products japanese cell lithium ion 1800mah batteries.I prefer OEM but when you have 20+ rentals you have to look elsewheres when getting new batteries.
nothing
ke0vk
New User

Post by ke0vk »

I have had some very good luck with iMax Expert batteries for my Sabers that I purchased on eBay. I bought the 2700mAH Ni-MH batteries from them. I bought the first one skeptically, having had terrible experience in the past with the way the after-market batteries fit the radios. But I must say the quality is very good, and the fit and finish is superb. It takes a few charging cycles to get them to full capacity, as with any battery, but my UHF Saber III will run a couple of days scanning, with moderate use at 1W output, I use it to talk on my repeater, and thru my VRS to my VHF X9000. My Astro Saber will run a couple of days mostly scanning Law Enforcement frequencies, with allot of receive time at half volume or more.

The company will accept returns up to 30 days, and offers a 1 year warranty on their batteries. OEMs are only warranted for 120 days.

My disclaimer:
If you are Law Enforcement, a Fire Fighter, or other service where LIVES depend on your radio working EVERY time, you're a fool to use 'after market' anything on your radios.
I am not. Therefore, in the Amateur Radio / Small Business world, they perform great, and offer a more affordable alternative for radios that consume batteries quicker than some others.

Hope my input is helpful.

Scott, KE0VK
KE0VK
My Radio battery consists of:
VHF X9000 sp'ed for dual power w/ UHF VRS
UHF X9000
2 Spectra A9s on UHF and 900 MHz Amateur Band, respectively
2 25W Maxtracs; 1 VHF running 17W to an attached Mirage 5016G amp for 100W out, 1 UHF running 15W on EchoLink (446.125 simplex)
1 VHF Saber I, 1 UHF Saber III, a VHF Astro Saber II, and an MTX on 900 MHz Amateur Band

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”