Saber I with Four Battery Contacts

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Saber I with Four Battery Contacts

Post by n6fnp »

I was going through my box of Saber HT's and ran across a model I that has Four Battery Contacts
on the bottom. I've seen some batteries that have three or more contacts on the the top. Now I'm
very curious, what are these extra contacts for???

-Thor
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: Saber I with Four Battery Contacts

Post by MTS2000des »

Only seen this on 1988 and earlier Sabers, not sure what the extra pins do. But the early versions of the radio housings have four pins as do the early batteries. The early housings also has raised keypad buttons, later ones the keys are recessed into the face of the radio.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Will

Post by Will »

MTS2000des wrote:Only seen this on 1988 and earlier Sabers, not sure what the extra pins do. But the early versions of the radio housings have four pins as do the early batteries. {snip}.
The added contacts had to do with the extra transmit current and the lower battery voltage of 7.5 volts . And to sense the current and or voltage in the battery. It has been a long time since seeing any Sabers with the 'extra' contacts.

I see Motorola kits to replace the bottom plate with the two contact version.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

the four contact radios are very early production runs.

this was the first attempt at "smart" battery technology that also played into the saber intellicharger design...

it went the way of the do-do

d
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Post by n6fnp »

Thanks guys for the good info. I figured it was something like that, but was hoping it might
be something real cool like maybe a Fascinator or other SVM type unit that fits between the
battery and the radio like PRC-68 series radios use.

-Thor

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”