Spectra converted to new head

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Spectra converted to new head

Post by KG4INW »

I've successfully been able to Bitbang my A5 Spectra into an A9. However, none of the unprogrammable buttons seem to be working, i.e. Volume, Mode, Sel and Home. I can program some of the top buttons to Sel and Home but would much rather use the actual Sel and Home buttons!

Am I missing something or do I have to also Bitbang the model number? I must admit that I haven't poked around in the codeplug too much more as I've run out of time for the weekend but I know it'll bother me to no end until I have more time!
Jim202

Re: Spectra converted to new head

Post by Jim202 »

KG4INW wrote:I've successfully been able to Bitbang my A5 Spectra into an A9. However, none of the unprogrammable buttons seem to be working, i.e. Volume, Mode, Sel and Home. I can program some of the top buttons to Sel and Home but would much rather use the actual Sel and Home buttons!

Am I missing something or do I have to also Bitbang the model number? I must admit that I haven't poked around in the codeplug too much more as I've run out of time for the weekend but I know it'll bother me to no end until I have more time!

I guess the question here is just what did you do in bit banging the changes?

You should have only changed one address to tell the radio the type of control head it has. Then if you really needed to, to go and change the model number as well.

Do you know if the A9 head worked with all the normal controls or is this a case of a totally unknown head being installed? There is the possibility that the head is messed up. Like coffee got spilled into it and it has messed up the membrane carbon contacts and or board connections. I always pull apart a head and clean them up with water and alcohol before putting them back into service. Try looking under
the rubber membrane and see what it looks like. Take a Q tip and some alcohol to clean both the membrane and the board contacts. Let it dry and then put it back together.
KG4INW

Post by KG4INW »

All I changed was adress 6060 from AF to CD, nothing else. It programmed fine, came up with the FL 1/82, I then cleared that with regular RSS and the home channel mode alpha tag then appeared (that was previously programmed into the head). I do have another head to test, but I'm quite sure this one was working before. I'll check inside though.

ETA: The RSS threw back a warning telling me that a SEL and HOME button were required for operation so I know the buttons aren't being recognized for some reason. I just can't access and program those actual buttons.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

KG4INW wrote:All I changed was adress 6060 from AF to CD, nothing else. It programmed fine, came up with the FL 1/82, I then cleared that with regular RSS and the home channel mode alpha tag then appeared (that was previously programmed into the head). I do have another head to test, but I'm quite sure this one was working before. I'll check inside though.

ETA: The RSS threw back a warning telling me that a SEL and HOME button were required for operation so I know the buttons aren't being recognized for some reason. I just can't access and program those actual buttons.

I will be out of the office all week and not back till Friday afternoon. If you can post your radio model number, the one that starts with the T83 or D43 (VHF), maybe I might have a codeplug I can send you to look at.

Jim
Will

Post by Will »

Go to the section in programing to setup the control head buttons.
KG4INW

Post by KG4INW »

Jim202 wrote:If you can post your radio model number, the one that starts with the T83 or D43 (VHF), maybe I might have a codeplug I can send you to look at.
Thanks, I'll post that tomorrow evening, when I get a chance to go to the "shack."
Will wrote:Go to the section in programing to setup the control head buttons.
Different from the one I was already in? I wanted to set up the buttons and that's when I saw that nothing was assigned any function, neither in RSS nor physically on the CH. I can program the top row and most on the numeric keypad but not the rockers or SEL and HOME.
KG4INW

Post by KG4INW »

So, there is something wrong with the first head. I tried another (both HCN1073A heads though) and it works just fine. Oh well, it'll give me something to do nights and weekends! Thanks for the help.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

You need to make sure the MOFLAGs are appropriate for the radio, and that the Model # / ID # are set to what they need to be. Once you install the "whored-out" example code given on the MOFLAGs page, you'll be able to set the radio to A4/A5/A7/A9 at will. But until it's been set for that, you will have difficulty.
KG4INW

Post by KG4INW »

Thanks. I realize I've got more to learn and at the cost of Spectras nowadays (read, not much), it's a fun project for me to tinker with. I haven't messed with the MOFLAGs yet so that's where I'll head next.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Yes, they have gotten "affordable".

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”