XTS3000 Questions about repair/maintenance

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

e911
What radios do you own?: XTS3000, Icom V82, Icom U82

XTS3000 Questions about repair/maintenance

Post by e911 »

Greetings all,

I know I'm a bout to commit a cardinal sin with some people so let me apologize ahead of time, however, I need something that can perform the tasks I need in the smallest package possible. I am looking at an XTS3000 UHF Model 3 to use on ham frequencies as well as commerical however it is in rough shape and the seller isn't sure if it even works.

So, a couple of things that come to mind. First, what is the average cost to have the radio benched and looked at? We have a few moto dealers around here, however (sarcastic tone) so convinently they do not list their bench fee's nor their hourly rate, so I have nothing to compare it to without making a few dozen phone calls to multiple places. Next, how hard would it be to recase the radio? I want to make it a bright yellow rather than black (and because the case is pretty banged up).

Next in regards to programming. I see alot of different flash codes for the radios with multiple different options in each. To obtain the flash codes does one contact the moto dealer or moto direct? What can one expect to pay for the flash codes? (ive noticed that moto rarely does anything of good will, and usually try to nickle and dime ya to death!) Do they price the flash codes based upon options picked or is it just a "package" deal you get xx features for this price or xx for that.

I thank you all for your time, advice, and expertise on these issues.

Respectfully,
e911
RIP Brothers Tim McCormick (24) and Cody Medley (22)
EOW 02/16/2013
Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services
Killed while on duty by a distracted driver
Jim202

Re: XTS3000 Questions about repair/maintenance

Post by Jim202 »

e911 wrote:Greetings all,

I know I'm a bout to commit a cardinal sin with some people so let me apologize ahead of time, however, I need something that can perform the tasks I need in the smallest package possible. I am looking at an XTS3000 UHF Model 3 to use on ham frequencies as well as commerical however it is in rough shape and the seller isn't sure if it even works.

So, a couple of things that come to mind. First, what is the average cost to have the radio benched and looked at? We have a few moto dealers around here, however (sarcastic tone) so convinently they do not list their bench fee's nor their hourly rate, so I have nothing to compare it to without making a few dozen phone calls to multiple places. Next, how hard would it be to recase the radio? I want to make it a bright yellow rather than black (and because the case is pretty banged up).

Next in regards to programming. I see alot of different flash codes for the radios with multiple different options in each. To obtain the flash codes does one contact the moto dealer or moto direct? What can one expect to pay for the flash codes? (ive noticed that moto rarely does anything of good will, and usually try to nickle and dime ya to death!) Do they price the flash codes based upon options picked or is it just a "package" deal you get xx features for this price or xx for that.

I thank you all for your time, advice, and expertise on these issues.

Respectfully,
e911

Don't fall over when your told the cost of the hourly rate most of the Motorola shops charge today. Depending on where your located these rates will range from a very bottom of $65 for out in the country to over $125 plus for city locations. Some shops are very sensitive to what radios they service and what frequencies go in the radio. If there is any public safety frequencies, they will probably require a letter from the agency. Ham frequencies is a hit and miss for who your talking with.

Many of the Motorola radios will not go on the ham frequencies without hacking the software. Not having to put an XTS3000 on any ham frequencies, I can't advise if they will go or not. It will depend on which range the radio you have is in. Look at the model number and you will see something that starts with H09Rxxxxxxxx. If you look at the 4th digit it will tell you what frequency range the portable is in. The P range is 336 to 410 MHz. The Q range is 403 to 437 MHz. The R range is 438 to 482 MHz. The S range is 470 to 512 MHz.

I didn't provide the info on all 12 of the model number position locations because there are all sorts of options and features. In your case, right now your only interested in the 4th position. If you have an "R" in the 4th position, your in luck to be able to get to the ham band frequencies. Anything else and your SOL with out hacked software and retunning of the radio.

Jim
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Correction, there's only two UHF splits available for the 3000. They are 'R' 403-470 and 'S' 450-512 MHz. Motorola has discontinued Depot service for the 3000 so anything any dealer is willing to do will be "best effort" only.
e911

Post by e911 »

Thank you Jim for the information. I figured around 100$ was the bench rate for these places, but just wasnt sure if i was even in the ball park. Thank you for the bit about the R digit, I've found alot in my search that says it covers the entire 403-512 range but I was 99% sure that wasn't possible with this model of radio.

We have several of the 2500's at work and I really enjoy the radio so I was hoping the 3k would be a bit better. Wouldn't you know it that they discontinue it after I take an interest into getting one. I wonder if I have that kind of power with the APX's HA! :)

In regards to the flash codes, is it a crap shoot on pricing for those with the dealers or is it priced per option?

Thank you again!
EOW 02/16/2013
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Check around with some of the members of local Ham clubs they may be able to help out with programming and alignment.
e911

Post by e911 »

Jim, What about a 2500i? One is being advertised as a Q band split with coverage from 380-470. FireCpt, thanks for that tip. I did ask a few of the local hams but they tend to shy away from commerical gear, especially Moto. :(
EOW 02/16/2013
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

For the Astro25 radios (XTS 2500, 4000 and 5000) yes, the Q-split is 380 to 470 MHz. You won't find an R split in those series.
Last edited by KG4INW on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

You will have a very hard time getting flash upgrades for the XTS3000. As the radio's no longer supported, Motorola is likely to say that the upgrades are no longer available. Same thing with the MTS2000 and Astro Saber.
e911

Post by e911 »

escomm wrote:You will have a very hard time getting flash upgrades for the XTS3000. As the radio's no longer supported, Motorola is likely to say that the upgrades are no longer available. Same thing with the MTS2000 and Astro Saber.
Well nuts. Just my luck. Appreciate the help!
EOW 02/16/2013
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

FWIW, the XTS2500's are falling in price, and are way better radios than the XTS3000, as they are about 10 years newer, have better battery life, and are fully supported (and still being sold) by Motorola. I prefer the form factor of the 2500 to the 3000/5000, even though it is a "lighter duty" radio in some respects.

Just buy the SELLER not the RADIO. Lots of junk out there on brokenstolenradios.com
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
e911

Post by e911 »

MTS2000des wrote:FWIW, the XTS2500's are falling in price, and are way better radios than the XTS3000, as they are about 10 years newer, have better battery life, and are fully supported (and still being sold) by Motorola. I prefer the form factor of the 2500 to the 3000/5000, even though it is a "lighter duty" radio in some respects.

Just buy the SELLER not the RADIO. Lots of junk out there on brokenstolenradios.com
Sadly I've already made the purchase for the 3000. The price for it was within what I was looking for, however I will be shopping for a VHF model soon, so I will keep that in mind. Found a source locally to get parts, but they are unable to test it, so the hunt begins for someone to bench it.

I went with the 3000 due to what I've read online about it being more rugged-ish. I was wanting a radio that could handle heavy use and yet not shatter if it got accidentally dropped. I won't buy from someone unless they have a proven track record of sales. Working with law enforcement I know plenty well about the junk out there, which is rather sad, but then again, no matter what there is always some rotten apples in the bunch.

Wonder why they stopped production of the 3000... :-/
EOW 02/16/2013
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

e911 wrote:
Like everything else in life, something newer came along. GARY
e911

Post by e911 »

N4KVE wrote:
e911 wrote:
Like everything else in life, something newer came along. GARY
Tis is true I guess. well, guess i know what to look for on my next purchase then!
EOW 02/16/2013
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

The 3000 is a great radio. Just because they don't make it anymore doesn't means it's not a good radio. Being in the car business for over 30 years, I can tell you that newer isn't always better. Since you already have a 3000 now, stick with that line should you need another radio on another band. This way you stay with the same batteries, chargers etc. And yes, the 3000 is more rugged, & in my opinion, will withstand more abuse. GARY
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

e911 wrote:Jim, What about a 2500i? One is being advertised as a Q band split with coverage from 380-470. FireCpt, thanks for that tip. I did ask a few of the local hams but they tend to shy away from commerical gear, especially Moto. :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OT but perhaps still relevant: I've encountered this exact kind of bias/prejudice on several occasions of the past few years, but I still can't figure out the reason for it. Typical comment is something like, "Don't bring that Motorola junk around here!" and it's said in a rather bitter and nasty tone. I've always believed that we're involved in amateur radio to broaden our horizons and learn about new things, but apparently the LMR world isn't part of it.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Tom in D.C. wrote:
e911 wrote:Jim, What about a 2500i? One is being advertised as a Q band split with coverage from 380-470. FireCpt, thanks for that tip. I did ask a few of the local hams but they tend to shy away from commerical gear, especially Moto. :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OT but perhaps still relevant: I've encountered this exact kind of bias/prejudice on several occasions of the past few years, but I still can't figure out the reason for it. Typical comment is something like, "Don't bring that Motorola junk around here!" and it's said in a rather bitter and nasty tone. I've always believed that we're involved in amateur radio to broaden our horizons and learn about new things, but apparently the LMR world isn't part of it.
I agree Tom.. Some Hams would rather play with Chinesee dualband junk than touch a Motorola.. Because its not a true Ham radio. I suggested asking though a club because at least in my area and close proximity to Schaumburg there are alot of Hams that do use Motorola on the 2m and 70cm machines some being P25.

Keep on looking. There are people here that maybe local to you that help you out. The XTS3000 is a decent, solid radio. It uses all the same accessories as the 5000 and will have those avalible for a long time.Though support has offically been ended by Motorola there are plenty of resources avalible here and other places to get you what you need. I am using 2 right now as I write this. I have them scanning a P25 800 trunked and P25 UHF-T conventional both are working just as good as my XTS5000 scanning a P25 VHF conventional department.
e911

Post by e911 »

The response I got basically was burn me at the stake for using "non-approved" equipment on the Ham channels. I kinda had to scratch my head because isnt the purpose of ham radio operators supposed to be experimenters, tinkerer's, making do with what's available. Last I checked, other than an HF rig, there was no 900 mhz ham equipment, you have to use commercial equipment ha!

Went on a limb and spoke to the local Moto shop and the rep I spoke to seemed to believe that the depot still works on the 3k's. And surprisingly their PM service was alot cheaper than I thought, only 50$ and it includes cleaning, alignment, and overall health check.

Now, finding some affordable Impress litho batteries. One thing I've learned looking into all this is the fact that there's a dozen+ brands with just as many features, including moto's brand. I think I've tracked down a good charger new in box so that's taken care of. Not sure if I could ask this here, if not I'm sorry, but does anyone have a suggestion on where to purchase batteries? Somewhere reputable, stand behind what they sell, and are affordable.
EOW 02/16/2013
lucyming
New User

Post by lucyming »

I went with the 3000 due to what I've read online about it being more rugged-ish.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

e911 wrote:The response I got basically was burn me at the stake for using "non-approved" equipment on the Ham channels. I kinda had to scratch my head because isnt the purpose of ham radio operators supposed to be experimenters, tinkerer's, making do with what's available. Last I checked, other than an HF rig, there was no 900 mhz ham equipment, you have to use commercial equipment ha!

Went on a limb and spoke to the local Moto shop and the rep I spoke to seemed to believe that the depot still works on the 3k's. And surprisingly their PM service was alot cheaper than I thought, only 50$ and it includes cleaning, alignment, and overall health check.

Now, finding some affordable Impress litho batteries. One thing I've learned looking into all this is the fact that there's a dozen+ brands with just as many features, including moto's brand. I think I've tracked down a good charger new in box so that's taken care of. Not sure if I could ask this here, if not I'm sorry, but does anyone have a suggestion on where to purchase batteries? Somewhere reputable, stand behind what they sell, and are affordable.
Escomm here has good deals for board members and is a full line motorola dealer with excellent service.
e911

Post by e911 »

FireCpt809 wrote:
e911 wrote:The response I got basically was burn me at the stake for using "non-approved" equipment on the Ham channels. I kinda had to scratch my head because isnt the purpose of ham radio operators supposed to be experimenters, tinkerer's, making do with what's available. Last I checked, other than an HF rig, there was no 900 mhz ham equipment, you have to use commercial equipment ha!

Escomm here has good deals for board members and is a full line motorola dealer with excellent service.
Thanks for the tip!
EOW 02/16/2013
k8zgw
New User

Post by k8zgw »

I have found that "WW" battery has about everything,
and their pricing is good
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

k8zgw wrote:I have found that "WW" battery has about everything,
and their pricing is good
If you use the "search" function you will see many threads describing the JUNK that W&W sells. I personally will never use their products ever again. Two brand new batteries that had the low battery chirp when trying to transmit on a freshly charged brand new battery. Sure they exchanged them under warranty, but the replacement batteries were the same. The charger worked perfectly with other batteries. Absolute CRAP. GARY
k8zgw
New User

Post by k8zgw »

That's strange, I have had nothing but good luck with their batteries,
however, I have to admit, I have never used them for a Motorola radio.
I no longer own a Motorola radio ( I don't think??)

Don
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

OEM Motorola batteries are the only way to go, I've wasted enough time with aftermarket junk. I have 5 new (2012 date code) OSI Batteries brand Jedi batteries. Want a laugh? two of them show less than 320mah capacity (supposed to be 1500mah Nicads), the other two around 1390 but have a high discharge rate.

On the other hand, I still have several XTS2500 batteries from 2007 that still show 100 percent capacity after over 700 cycles and most of my Jedi batteries are OEM over 5 years old and still 100 percent, I have a year 2000 week 47 date code OEM NTN7144C that analyzes at 1722mah and doesn't self-discharge like those junk OSI batteries.

You get what you pay for.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”