XTS Li-Ion Battery issue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

spectreman
New User

XTS Li-Ion Battery issue

Post by spectreman »

Hi all.
I recently bought a 4000mAH Li-Ion battery pack for my XTS5000, brand new.
I have charged it 5 times on the correct Impres charger, and has been fine until today.
The issue is, the radio has stopped displaying the battery gauge & battery info.
Was working fine. I have tried it in another radio, and still no batt gauge displays anymore.
Has anyone else come across this same problem ?
Guess I will try re-conditioning the batt again & see what happens.

Cheers, Chris.
spectreman
New User

Re: XTS Li-Ion Battery issue

Post by spectreman »

Ah, just saw the previous post a little way down by MTS2000 regarding this same issue.
However, the battery MTS2000 has probably was never initialised properly & the batt volts went too low.
My battery gauge was working fine till today....
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Mine does the same thing if I don't charge the battery every 2 weeks. The battery will still work fine, but just won't display any data. Nothing to worry about, unless you just charged the battery yesterday. GARY
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I have the same problem with my APX Impres batteries, but like Gary said, reconditioning them usually fixes
the problem.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

What version firmware is there on the charger?

Info from SRN1393 XTS 5000 radio using Impress (Smart) Battery - loss of fuel gage display

Situation 1.
XTS 5000 Radio with Impres Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel Metal-Hydride or Lithium Ion batteries and Impres Single-Unit and Multi-Unit Chargers with Charger Firmware versions 1.3 and higher. Firmware versions 1.3 and higher are indicated on the charger bottom label.

Symptoms:
Impres battery fuel gage display on XTS 5000 disappears after 7 days in radios fitted with Impres (Smart) batteries.

Cause:
XTS 5000 Smart battery fuel gauge display is designed to disappear after 7 days if the battery has not been charged with an Impres charger. This design is intended to eliminate inaccuracies in the display introduced by the use of non-Smart chargers.

Corrective Action:
Insert the Impres battery into the pocket of an Impres charger. Once the charger has indicated FLASHING GREEN or STEADY GREEN, the radio will display the fuel gauge.

Situation 2.
XTS 5000 Radio with Impres Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel Metal-Hydride or Lithium Ion batteries and Impres Single-Unit and Multi-Unit Chargers with Charger Firmware versions 1.2 or previous. Firmware versions 1.2 and earlier are not indicated on any of the charger labels.

Symptoms:
Impres battery fuel gage display disappears after 7 days on XTS 5000 radios fitted with Impres batteries. (This condition could also appear if the radio/battery were left in the charger for more than 7 days.)

Cause:
The XTS 5000 Smart battery fuel gauge display is designed to disappear after 7 days if the battery has not been charged with an Impres charger during that time. This design is intended to eliminate inaccuracies in the display introduced by the use of non-Smart chargers. On the older Impres charger firmware versions, the battery needs to be discharged below 70% of full capacity before re-charging in order to properly re-initialize the battery and allow the fuel gauge to be displayed. If the battery is removed from the Impres charger before charging is complete, the fuel gauge will not be visible, since an internal timer in the battery is not updated until the charge cycle ends.

Corrective Action:
Within the first 2 minutes of Rapid Charging (STEADY RED Indication), force the battery to recondition by removing the battery from the pocket and reinserting it into the pocket within 5 seconds. This will cause the battery to be reconditioned/recalibrated, thereby resetting the battery timer and allowing the radio to display the fuel gauge. The Amber LED indicator indicates reconditioning.
Note: The Impres battery needs to be discharged to at least 70% of full capacity before the internal timer will be updated upon charge, allowing the radio to display the fuel gauge.
spectreman
New User

Post by spectreman »

Thanks very much for the replies, I did not know about the above info at all.
So nothing too much to worry about then, I will just re-charge the batt.
The Impres charger has the latest firmware in it.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”