Identifying a Radio

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

glenn778
New User

Identifying a Radio

Post by glenn778 »

Hi Everyone,
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but any help would be appreciated. I bought a very old radio at a swap meet. It is a Motorola radio model number m33dfa3500ca. It came off an old police motorcycle. It has four channels and has already been set up for ham use. Thanks for any help this forum can provide.
thanks,
Glenn
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Identifying a Radio

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Off the top of my head that model number sounds like a Motorola series called the Dispatcher. Do a Google search and see if it comes up looking like your radio. The head of the unit, speaker, etc. might be painted black.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

Not a Dispatcher, those were T33AAT and T33BAT numbers. Nor the Solid State Dispatcher. DFA should be an MCR-100 set.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

In case this helps: http://www.wb6nvh.com/cyclerad/Cyclerad2.htm ... if not well it's a great site anyways.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Astro Spectra wrote:In case this helps: http://www.wb6nvh.com/cyclerad/Cyclerad2.htm ... if not well it's a great site anyways.
Thank You for posting that great website
fineshot1
NJ USA
glenn778
New User

Post by glenn778 »

Thanks for your replies. The website had the answer, it is a mcr-100 radio. The radio head is identical to mine. What I need now is a manual so I can program it for my local 2 meter repeaters. Any ideas?
thanks,
Glenn
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I believe the MCR-100 uses channel elements and is not programable.

You can get the existing channel elements recrystalled but it is expensive. ICM is the best source I am aware of.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

k2hz wrote:I believe the MCR-100 uses channel elements and is not programable.

You can get the existing channel elements recrystalled but it is expensive. ICM is the best source I am aware of.
k2hz is correct the MCR100 IS a rock controlled radio. It is a re-engeneered Mocom 35 set up for use on police motorcycles. It had several different mounting kits for the different bike manufacturers (mostly Harley-Davidson & Yamaha). I worked on that product line from the beginning until production was moved out of Schaumburg. 10 frequencies max, CSQ or PL (no DPL at that time).
Dave
glenn778
New User

Post by glenn778 »

Thanks for the replies, I will use this unit for parts then for other projects.
Glenn
Will

Post by Will »

glenn778 wrote:Thanks for the replies, I will use this unit for parts then for other projects.
Glenn
It is way more valuable in your museum...
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

If you have the head with it, these bring decent money on eBay from the police motorcycle restorers. They don't so much have interest in just the radio drawer alone.

This discussion reminded me that I need to get a photo of the MCR-100 radio section up on the web page. I had one of those radios in the basement but I think termites ate it.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Ditto I restore a lot of bikes. I need the MCR 100 control head!
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
glenn778
New User

Post by glenn778 »

The head minus the mic is available if some can use it, I will trade for something. If someone has a mike with that type of connection I can obtain, then the mike can go also. I have no use for this unit except the mike.
lmk,
Glenn

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”