OT - Amateur Radio Encryption NPRM

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

OT - Amateur Radio Encryption NPRM

Post by N4DES »

Very lively discussion in RR and the first post notes the FCC NPRM page looking for input.

http://forums.radioreference.com/commun ... rvice.html

Enjoy!
Mark
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: OT - Amateur Radio Encryption NPRM

Post by escomm »

I said it on Hamsexy and I'll say it here.

The FCC permits its rules to be broken in times of emergency if the breaking of the rules serves the public interest.

If the ham is serving the public interest by breaking the rules, he has nothing to worry about as he has an affirmative defense if Laura comes a knocking.

On that basis alone the petition is moot. I should sell popcorn to the show, though. The comments are an absolute $(@! storm
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

it's absolutely ludicrous. Ham radio is not the "emergency radio" service. Encryption is completely contrary to open interoperability, something that is very basic to the fabric of what amateur radio is.

This is a small group of whackers who want to play and change the rules to fit their specific purpose, a purpose that is very misguided from the beginning. It's a BAD IDEA. Plain and simple. No matter how many APX, XPR or XTS radios I own, I would NEVER even THINK about using encryption on the ham bands. It just isn't the place for it. Plain and simple.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Now THAT's interesting!

Marshall
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

That is because Industry Canada actually has people on board who have common sense and allow things that are reasonable....
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

they make p25 radios on 900
okto
New User
What radios do you own?: Jedis and Sabers, mostly.

Post by okto »

What's the point of using encryption if you publish the keys on the web?

What is the use case for an encrypted amateur repeater? We have cell phones that do that already, and do it better.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

okto wrote:What's the point of using encryption if you publish the keys on the web?

What is the use case for an encrypted amateur repeater? We have cell phones that do that already, and do it better.
Keeps the scanner nerds away, for one. As far as crypto on cell phones... haven't read up much on A5/1, have you?
AL7OC
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Thales, Tekk

Post by AL7OC »

For Pete's sake... Just use some digital voice protocol like D-STAR if you're worried about scanner eavesdroppers. Or 30 wpm CW, packet, so-on and so forth. We have frequency and mode agility which most Part 90 licensees don't. There are many open protocols which would be difficult to intercept by casual eavesdroppers if some degree of privacy is needed for sensitive communications

I think that encryption is OK anyways under Part 97 rules for RACES operation in certain circumstances.

If you want to play around with encryption to learn how it works (key management... Etc.) and you publish your keys, what's the big deal? The rules pertain to attempting to conceal or obfuscate to contents of the communication. If you openly publish your keys, so what? I don't buy the arguments about not everyone having the key loaders or equipment to be able to decode your transmissions. Not everyone has MOTOTRBO gear or a CW key. So what? You want to play... .. You got to pay in money and sweat equity learning new stuff.

Not everyone can intercept CW, SSB, RTTY, but most of us don't get our bowels in an uproar over that. Then again, some people did get flaming gastritis over PL on ham repeaters... Or any new mode that they couldn't receive on inexpensive OTS ham gear. Back in the 70s, some local olde farts tried to claim that PL was encryption and illegal and exclusive (...because I don't have it or understand it) Really. The hobby is about trying the new and different for the sake of learning.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my options to court. Check with Dewey, Chatham, and Howe...
Pierre

AL7OC
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The fact that it gives the hamhumps a case of flaming gastritis is sufficient justification in itself.
xmo

Post by xmo »

OK. Posting the fact that this issue was out there is one thing. Debating it here is another matter. We're not going there. The Batboard lounge is long gone.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”