Motorola Shop Interview Tips

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

topramen
New User

Post by topramen »

I've got a 2nd interview with a Radio shop I really want to work for next week. First interview went well. For the second one... well, I'm along for the ride on a site visit. I have no idea what to expect. What should I expect? Any tips?

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum... but I trust your collective experience.)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Motorola Shop Interview Tips

Post by escomm »

First rule of visiting a site: Don't touch anything that doesn't belong to you
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

It's tough to give proper advice without knowing both the requirements of the position you are filling, and your applicable experience and skills. Since you're asking for advice, I'll assume you're a relatively junior tech.

I'm assuming they are bringing you along as a test of sorts. If possible, find out what equipment they'll be servicing so you can do a bit of prep. Don't be afraid to offer to tackle the servicing of the unit, even of you're unfamiliar with it. Employers are looking for technical aptitude and trainability, at the end of the day. Showing a desire & willingness to learn can go a long way. Ask a lot of questions and use their first names often (So, John, what exactly are you testing by doing this...?)

Beyond that, take a look around the equipment environment, ask questions about what you see to show you're interested beyond what they are simply working on. Like escomm says, hands off things unless they direct you otherwise.

Don't forget to mention your willingness to work beyond the standard 9-to-5 for on call situations, etc.

Making a personal connection will give you a big edge over a quiet guy who simply watches the servicing & doesn't interact much.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I don't understand why a shop would take someone not covered by their insurance and no affiliation to the site on a ride along. But, it's not my shop.

You may want to work for this company, but this is your opportunity to interview the shop as well as theirs to see how you perform. Keep your eyes and ears open, your mouth shut, and your hands in your pocket. Speak when spoken to, and don't regale your fellow travelers with tales of glory from your past. Definitely avoid discussing politics. Don't equivocate beyond yes sir and no sir. Bring a lunch. Bring a pen. Bring a notepad. Bring some paper towels so you don't have to figure out how bears do it in the woods. Wear a jacket and a hat. Wear your boots. Don't chew gum.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Bill has some good pointers.

It is hard to know when to listen and when to ask questions for some green horn trying to break into the tech work. The best advice I can give after many years in this field is be respectful of the person your with. Don't interrupt that person if they are speaking. Be polite and try to stay out of the way. The hands in the pocket suggestion is of utmost importance at a remote radio site. Just leaning of something could bring down that whole radio that is attached to what ever you just moved.

Look at going to this site as walking on glass. It is slippery and you could loose your balance at any moment. There probably will be wires going all over the place and snagging one of them could take the radio attached to it out of service. You might not even know that radio now has a problem for several hours after you leave the location.

It does seem strange that a radio shop would take you out to a field location until after they hired you. The liability alone is probably the best reason not to do it.

Best of luck in your quest for the job.

Jim
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Jim202 wrote:.....It does seem strange that a radio shop would take you out to a field location until after they hired you. The liability alone is probably the best reason not to do it.....
I can understand that, but to me it actually seems quite normal, BUT I come from a police background, NOT RF and it is quite common for prospective officers to go on a ride along with an agency before being selected. As far as liability goes, a signed Waiver Of Liability form is pretty common before the ride along occurs.

Actually, the one that really surprises me is some Law Enforcement Officers at an organization near me were asked to shoot on the range prior to being hired. Think of the liability there if something would have happened!
topramen
New User

Post by topramen »

Thanks for the advice. As for the site, all I know is I'm visiting a client. (So maybe I'm assuming that I'm going to the actual site) Don't know if I'm going up to a vault or anything, if we're doing any repairs or anything. Beyond the location, I just don't know much. I should've asked, but I was just so excited I got the call back and I was on the road so I had to keep it short. I suppose it's too late to email them and ask. Or is it? Basically I was told that they just want to show me around and get to know me, as well as let me get to know them. For attire, I was thinking a polo shirt and some slacks or something.

Also, I was planning on bringing some Krispy Kreme and coffee for everyone since it's a butt-crack of dawn type situation, is that uncouth?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Donuts are nice. It's a shop. If they drink coffee, they'll already have it. Bring one for you. Polo shirt and slacks are fine. Don't email. Just show up as scheduled.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

I've heard of a shop doing this one but only because the shop in question had unorthodox customers so any applicants they gave a tour of one of their customer's sites with permission to better explain and filter out any applciants who can't handle it.
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”