EF Johnson - do they manufacture their own radios?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

EF Johnson - do they manufacture their own radios?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Does EF Johnson manufacture radios in their own factory?

Or is it all "badged" stuff.

I think one EFJ radio was basically an XTS3000 and I recently saw an EFJ which was a badged ICOM radio.

I have recently read about an EFJ VP600 radio which is claimed to be a Motorola APX6000 "killer" ie. it out performs the APX- so who actually makes this radio?
Bill_G

Re: EF Johnson - do they manufacture their own radios?

Post by Bill_G »

They did in the past. I can't speak to their most modern equipment.
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

EFJ manufactures their own equipment in Dallas, TX.
Their hardware is completely different from MOT, iCom, Harris, Kenwood and BK.

Check out their product list at www.efjohnson.com
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Radios, yes. Accessories... not so much. The thousands of charger power supplies they recalled a couple years ago were made in China. Their batteries are made in China or Malaysia.

Also note that at one time Motorola did supply EFJ with RF boards. Something about Australia and a province wide trunking system. Been almost a decade since that time, though.
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

The 5100ES series radios are entirely EFJ manufactured - no MOT RF decks.

The EFJ Viking radios are a completely new radio designed and built in-house - hardware in Irving, TX and software/firmware in Lincoln, NE.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

GroundRat wrote:The 5100ES series radios are entirely EFJ manufactured - no MOT RF decks.

The EFJ Viking radios are a completely new radio designed and built in-house - hardware in Irving, TX and software/firmware in Lincoln, NE.
OK, that doesn't change the fact that Motorola did supply EFJ with hardware and does still manufacture equipment overseas. OP is correct in his estimation
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

g8tzl2004 wrote:Does EF Johnson manufacture radios in their own factory?
Yes. They do.
g8tzl2004 wrote:Or is it all "badged" stuff.

I think one EFJ radio was basically an XTS3000 and I recently saw an EFJ which was a badged ICOM radio.
No, EFJ radios are not "badged" MOT radios or ICOM radios.
EFJ does not share any of their manufacturing process with any other brand radio.
EFJ used to use MOT RF decks but that stopped in 2005 - 9 years ago.
g8tzl2004 wrote:I have recently read about an EFJ VP600 radio which is claimed to be a Motorola APX6000 "killer" ie. it out performs the APX- so who actually makes this radio?
The EFJ Viking Portable 600 is EFJ's latest radio and it is a great 2-way platform.
Is it a Motorola APX6000 "killer"?? I have no idea if it is a "killer" but it is a competitor.

I have personally used the new 800MHz VP600 alongside the 800MHz APX7000 and I was thoroughly impressed with both radios - on MOT and EFJ systems.
The APX is a sexy radio! The Viking is a sleek radio! And like most guys I like having OPTIONS.
You cannot go wrong with either radio when it comes to a daily use service radio - law enforcement, first responder or utility provider.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I assume that Motorola will now sell very few APX6000/7000 handhelds.

As most buyers are government based, then the only right thing to do is buy USA made EFJ Viking VP600's and immediately stop buying the Indonesian made APX6000/7000's?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

g8tzl2004 wrote:I assume that Motorola will now sell very few APX6000 handhelds.

As most buyers are government based, then the only right thing to do is buy USA made EFJ Viking VP600's and immediately stop buying the Indonesian made APX6000's?
Lol
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

Don't forget Relm's P25 compliant radios!
I have used these radios and they're another viable option for a daily use radio.
http://www.relm.com/Catalog/products/po ... /KNG-S.asp

And Harris' Unity radio . . . I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet so I cannot compare it's performance to the other radios.
http://pspc.harris.com/Products/Portabl ... table.aspx
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

g8tzl2004 wrote:I assume that Motorola will now sell very few APX6000/7000 handhelds.

As most buyers are government based, then the only right thing to do is buy USA made EFJ Viking VP600's and immediately stop buying the Indonesian made APX6000/7000's?
Plus the fact that they will be replacing them (the EFJ radios) a lot more often, means even more sales for EFJ.
Last edited by RFguy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

Is MOT having quality issues with the APX radios?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

p sure he was implying the EFJ radios were going to be needing early replacement
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

GroundRat, how are they working on SRS?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

SRS? Vehicle restraint systems?
Is that an issue for people?
I have never had a radio interfere with a vehicle supplemental restraint system.

Pj, does "SRS" mean something else?
Pj

Post by Pj »

Without being an ass, I was assuming you had experience with these on the Omaha Public Power District talkgroups.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Jayce
What radios do you own?: XTS/XTL & APX6000 & APX/XE

Post by Jayce »

[quote="GroundRat"]Don't forget Relm's P25 compliant radios!
I have used these radios and they're another viable option for a daily use radio.

And Harris' Unity radio . . . I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet so I cannot compare it's performance to the other radios.

I have a couple of the Relm P800 models used on Astro25 7.7 system. Not public safety quality but they have excellent audio and easier to program than a Harris radio. I also have 2 Harris XG-100, don't care for them. Too heavy, audio not as good as an APX. The Harris XG-25 and XG-75 are OK, but my XG-75s only have a 2 position zone switch. I understand they are switching over to a 3 position switch this year which should make those public safety friendly.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

GroundRat wrote:Don't forget Relm's P25 compliant radios!
Harris County SO bought several hundred of these for use on TxWARN 1A7. From what I have seen/heard the receive audio quality is horrid compared to an XTS or APX, and none of the deputies who have them like them.
GroundRat wrote:And Harris' Unity radio . . . I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet so I cannot compare it's performance to the other radios.
Great tech radio, but WAY too complex for the average cop or firefighter. They are also pretty bulky - think HT90-size. If the XG-25P or XG-75P had tri-band capability they really would be an "APX killer."
xmo

Post by xmo »

This thread has gone way off topic.

The question: "EF Johnson - Do they manufacture their own radios?" has been answered.
GroundRat

Post by GroundRat »

Pj wrote:Without being an ass, I was assuming you had experience with these on the Omaha Public Power District talkgroups.
Last I checked the only brand of radios on the OPPD system was Motorola.
No other vendor radios are being used or tested on that system.

I do know that the LMR managers at Offutt AFB base are very open to trying/testing new radios.
I'm sure all P25 compliant radio vendors have sent radios out there for testing.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Interestingly, I've just read that EF Johnson has been acquired by Kenwood.

The deal was announced 2 weeks after I posted the question whether EFJ made their own radios.

I thought Kenwood already made P25 radios. I guess they are just buying market share?
vobtechman
New User

Post by vobtechman »

EF Johnson manufactures it's own radio in the USA. Also, only company to offer SmartNet trunking other than Batwing. VP series is a nice looking unit, but just demo'ed several and had a problem with the PS mic. ant connection at radio. The coax loop (at the radio end) could easily get caught on something. Otherwise, impressed. About 1/2 the price of APX models.
vobtechman
New User

Post by vobtechman »

EFJ has the new Atlas P25 trunking system which is far more advanced than any current batwing offering. Controller, voter, transceiver-all in one. Kenwood had very little to offer in P25 as far as site equipment. For users that are on SmartNet, the Atlas will make the switch to P25 very easy. I have a small problem with the VP series public safety mic dongle and the antenna coupling to the radio. Otherwise-good products and very affordable!
W4WTF
was KF4PEP

Post by W4WTF »

When I received about 75 NIB EFJ 5100's (actually PRC-127EF's) in Afghanistan they all had Motorola branded antennas.
Pj

Post by Pj »

GroundRat wrote:
Pj wrote:Without being an ass, I was assuming you had experience with these on the Omaha Public Power District talkgroups.
Last I checked the only brand of radios on the OPPD system was Motorola.
No other vendor radios are being used or tested on that system.

I do know that the LMR managers at Offutt AFB base are very open to trying/testing new radios.
I'm sure all P25 compliant radio vendors have sent radios out there for testing.
Incorrect. Harris has radios on the system...and its not strictly OPPD. The state partnered with them, but its not exclusively OPPD or Nebraska... but the State CIO does essentially run the system.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”