OLD MOTOROLA LIGHTBAR RELAY KIT.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Richard Collier

OLD MOTOROLA LIGHTBAR RELAY KIT.

Post by Richard Collier »

Years ago Motorola made a I guess a seperate relay set up kit. It had 8 relays that hooked into the DEK from the radio. It would then activate HI AMP devices such as lightbars ect. It could be used as a stand alone unit minus the radio. Anybody ever seen them or have an old one laying around? Pictures and a part # would be great. And yes I do know it it has not been made for years.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: OLD MOTOROLA LIGHTBAR RELAY KIT.

Post by jmr061 »

Most used there own relay setups with the HLN1196/HLN1206 wildcard dek box.

Jason
JMINN

Post by JMINN »

Sounds like you are describing the old systems 90 switch head. Used a lot of these back in the day in cop cars using Micors.
Richard Collier

No not an old systems 90 control head. This was a maybe custom made or some off thing motorola made. A dek would plug into it, the item had 8 relays going to high amp items. I have seen them on ebay for sale but very rarely. Just looking for maybe a picture of one or a part number. This was not hooked up to a radio just 12v for lamp power.
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

Motorola never made or supplied a relay box. Some were homebrew and some were produced by third party companies. We used one made by Wired Rite that came with a control cable and DB-25 that was plug and play to the aux switch card. Although they still make relay boxes, nothing specific anymore to S9000 radios.
Lots and lots of watts...
Richard Collier

Even a close up of the inside would be a great help. Or even a picture of say how they would power lights on a paramedic vehicle, ect.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Richard Collier wrote:Even a close up of the inside would be a great help. Or even a picture of say how they would power lights on a paramedic vehicle, ect.
Just make your own relay control center or I can show you a board I have used in the past that is not Motorola.
Richard Collier

Got a picture of one you made that would be great.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

This is the PDC-10 that I have used in the past. Otherwise people have been known to take relays and screw them on a wood board and just wire everything.

Jason

radioguruphil

Post by radioguruphil »

I used to make them all the time for both the system 90 and 9000's. does anybody have a system 90 wildcard with plugs ? I could use one for my antique police car.
tsunami_australia
What radios do you own?: too many to list here apparent

Post by tsunami_australia »

Is there any way to interconnect something like this to an MCS2000? I've tried looking for DEKs and siren kits etc for the MCS but over here noone has the slightest idea of the MCS or it's capabilities and it is downright annoying. I've been wishing to put a PA, fog horn and some relay sets for lights etc off the MCS but just cannot find any info or parts. I guess I will have to either upgrade to an XTL5000 + kit(s) which I don't have the money for or just roll with a Simoco SRM9000 at some point and have a separate pa/siren kit of some sort but this just makes for more rubbish in the car.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

The light DEK is not connected to a radio at all. It is its own thing so you would be good there. I don't think the MCS ever had a siren kit for it. Have to come up with an alternative for that.
Will

Post by Will »

I remember them using Maratrac Siren amps and the DEC that works with it. All works stand alone.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

The MCS2000 could be connected to a Unitrol Omega 5000 siren and a DEK Plus. Both devices are almost 20 years old, so I don't expect you're going to have much luck making this work.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”