Spectra to XTL5000 upgrades...

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

Spectra to XTL5000 upgrades...

Post by fchrist16 »

Here is an interesting question for the group.

I have had Spectra's in my cars for years. With some new issues popping up, I think its time to upgrade to the XTL series, my only concern is will my DEK's and PA/VRS still work with the XTL series or do i have to locate all new parts all the way around?

Regards,

-Frank C.
John

Re: Spectra to XTL5000 upgrades...

Post by John »

I have used the DEK and PA/VRS from my Spectra with the XTL series. You do need a new cable between the DEK and the XTL if you use the newer O5 control head.
fchrist16 wrote:Here is an interesting question for the group.

I have had Spectra's in my cars for years. With some new issues popping up, I think its time to upgrade to the XTL series, my only concern is will my DEK's and PA/VRS still work with the XTL series or do i have to locate all new parts all the way around?

Regards,

-Frank C.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

John wrote:I have used the DEK and PA/VRS from my Spectra with the XTL series. You do need a new cable between the DEK and the XTL if you use the newer O5 control head.
fchrist16 wrote:Here is an interesting question for the group.

Regards,

-Frank C.
I second that as well. You can stay with a W series head and only have to replace the drawer unit and that is it if it is midpower. A high power would require a different main power harness.

If you go with the O5 I do have the dek cable you will need if interested.

Jason
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Thanks guys, I'm just now looking into it to see what I want versus need. I have all A9 heads with my Spectra's.

Regards,

-Frank C.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I was thinking astro spectra. If you want to keep the A9 head you have to get a W9 head or if it is the SMD type head just swap out the chip inside.

Jason
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Jason,

Look for a PM with the radio I'm looking at...Since I don't think I can post ebay links here.

Regards,

-Frank C.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

That is a completely "new" radio so the radio, head, cables will all need to be replaced obviously. As far as dek and siren/pa/vrs you can still uses those. You will need a new dek cable to go from the control head to the first dek.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

The only downside I see is I don't have a full A9 head type that I'm used too.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”