MICOR VHF 110W REPEATER XMIT AUDIO WENT DOWN

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

telemetryguy

MICOR VHF 110W REPEATER XMIT AUDIO WENT DOWN

Post by telemetryguy »

I have a MICOR VHF 110w repeater (not a conversion, came from the factory as a PS repeater). I converted it to two meters and it was running fine (at 35 watts reduced power because of the notch-only duplexer).

A few weeks ago I was notified that "the audio seems low". It is. 5Khz deviation on the input signal yields only about 2.5 to 2.8 Khz out of the transmitter.

I tried another exciter board with my channel element with no success. I injected a 1Khz audio tone into the exciter, bypassing the cards in the card cage to rule them out. No help.

Since this is true FM, I wonder if something could have gone bad in the channel element and/or the crystal itself. It sounds strange I know, but there are quite a number of components in the element and anything can happen.

Have any of you folks seen this or something like this happen? I am ready to start checking components in the element. Just wondering what any of you may have found along these lines.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone may have. PM if you like. Or reply here.
jackhackett

Re: MICOR VHF 110W REPEATER XMIT AUDIO WENT DOWN

Post by jackhackett »

Modulation is done in the channel element with a varactor diode, so your problem is most likely with the element. Was it off frequency at all? Also, what is the part number of the element?
telemetryguy

Post by telemetryguy »

Was not off frequency. KXN-1019B is the channel element number.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

If you don't already have one, there's a schematic for that element on the Repeater Builder site.
telemetryguy

Post by telemetryguy »

I already have it. I am checking components now. Thanks though.
telemetryguy

Post by telemetryguy »

It was the channel element. I checked every component I could find the value for and none of them were bad. I couldn't find values for the two varistors so I sent it back to International Crystal and they fixed it. Works fine now. Thanks to all for the help.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”