MT2000 Very Low TX Power

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

MT2000 Very Low TX Power

Post by W3AXL »

Hello,

I come to you with a problem. I recently got an MT2000 VHF model, which works fine in all aspects except for TX power.

I've already checked alignment, and it's almost perfect. The unit seems to just have very low output power.

Checked against another 5W HT, it is well below what it should be.

I've checked the programmed TX power in RSS and the values are all set correctly.

I've checked the resistance between the antenna output and the connector and it is all fine.

I don't know where to go from here. I would most likely be able to test most other components as long as I could find a decent schematic to see what I should test.

I'm hoping it isn't the RF PA itself that needs to be replaced because I'm sure it's impossible to find replacement modules for a radio this old.

Thanks, and I am very appreciative of anybody who offers help.

Patrick
W3AXL

Re: MT2000 Very Low TX Power

Post by W3AXL »

Battery was fully charged overnight, and radio was dissasembled and cleaned. Still having the same issue. Compared to another 5W radio, TX power is significantly lower, on my SDR the working 5W radio clips like crazy while the MT2000 hovers at around -15DB, using identical antennas and distances from the SDR.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Check the RF switch on the RF board, these can be problematic on all Jedi radios. If there is power coming INTO the RF switch, you may have to bypass it (not a big deal unless you plan to use it with a JVA or public safety RSM). If the RF switch is good, than you may have a bad PA.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
W3AXL

Post by W3AXL »

I've just checked and it appears that there's no plunger at all inside the RF switch, if there's supposed to be one. It's just an empty cavity.

I'm assuming that's the problem then? How would I go about bypassing it?
W3AXL

Post by W3AXL »

Unfortunately, while I was able to fix the TX power problem by bridging the antenna switch, in the process of disassembly or assembly I somehow damaged something with the front panel ribbon cable. Now the speaker, mic, buttons, and display are 100% broken and I'm hoping that the front panel I found on ebay for a few bucks will be working and fix it.

We learn from experience I guess.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”