Maxtrac VHF 146 - 175 MHz : any issues at 145 MHz?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Maxtrac VHF 146 - 175 MHz : any issues at 145 MHz?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have a VHF 25W 16 channel Maxtrac which covers 146 - 175 MHz.

Its a 16 pin version and works OK on 146.1 MHz.

I am planning on programminmg the radio down to 145 Mhz using the SHIFT KEY trick ie. only 1 MHz out of band.

I have read that there are TX power control issue even though the radio is only just out of band.

I just wanted to get an update on whether others have had TX output power issues when programming a VHF Maxtrac just slightly out of band.

When I programmed my 10m 60W Maxtrac onto 10m, I don't think I had an out of band TX power issue...although the radio was running 90W both in and out of band...so I lowered the TX down to 50w!!

Thanks
motorola_otaku

Re: Maxtrac VHF 146 - 175 MHz : any issues at 145 MHz?

Post by motorola_otaku »

It's hit or miss. Some radios do it and some don't. Newer-manufactured radios seem to do it less often than older radios, and 25W radios have less issue with it than 40/50W radios.

"Fixing" the issue by turning the power down in alignment on low band radios is not advisable, as it can swing back high on different channels spaced only a few hundred kHz apart. Best and safest bet is to follow the complete conversion procedure on Repeater Builder.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”