Motorola Maxar 50 UHF Mobile

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Satelite

Motorola Maxar 50 UHF Mobile

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Not all that familiar with the Motorola Maxar 50 mobile but I have run into a very tight radio install request .
This customer is on a GMRS 25kh wide band license so hes legal being wide band.
Looking around in the past I have seen the maxar 50 mobile and recall it being tiny.
Got a few qestions on the maxar 50 .
I know its crystal operated so icm would need to make some crystals if not found used.
Im wondering if the mobile did only one style of pl or dpl as ordered for one or the other or was radio able to do both ?
Im needing PL mode so no dpl needed.
Also from what I could find on the maxar 50 was that the pl was a plug in element and if so im thinking possibly the pl plug in element was the same used in the Motorola HT90 portable.
Does the maxar 50 use the same pl plug that the HT90 used ?
If so im good then as I do have two pl plugs that match this users pl .
Also was the Maxar 50 uhf mobile made in a 40 watt version or was it just 10 watts and 25 watts only?
Id be looking for a 2ch unit.
Thank you
Satelite
rainbowpenguin
New User

Re: Motorola Maxar 50 UHF Mobile

Post by rainbowpenguin »

Any reason not to use the sm50? It's even smaller, has 40w output, 2 channels, and does pl/dpl. Computer programmed.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

if its so tight and Wideband is ok. Why not try a spectra with a HHCH
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Actualy I have sized up a SM120 and its too wide to fit in the cubby storage hole in the dash under the cd radio player in a 2014 chevy equinox.
I don't have the measurements of a Maxar 50 but memory seems to recall the maxar50 being quite a bit smaller in width and deeper than the sm50/120 which I think will be smaller in width to fit.
The cubby storage hole is 5 inches tall by 5 winches wide by 8 inches deep so im thinking the maxar50 uhf mobile would fit .
Not sure id need the radios measurements to find out.
And yes I really did want to put a sm50/120 in but customer wants it in the cubby hole if it can be done regardless.
Yes crystals will cost more and he wont get 40 watts 25 I believe is the most a maxar50 uhf put out but he is on his own gmrs repeater so wattage wont hurt him so much since he doesn't primarily use simplex unless out on the road too far and then its occasional chat to another family member in other car.
So 25 watts not a killer here.
That if I recall looking at his license he was 50 watt tower output but 25 watt mobile so he couldn't legaly anyway tx over 25 watts mobile.
He has had issues getting a radio to fit his newer vehicles due to space and hes aware that these are older but smaller and will cost more initially to crystal and setup but his attitude is so what once done its done and now that he has a smaller mountable radio that he always has it for future vehicles and being the smallest design I now oh it hopefully will fit size wise for his future vehicles.
My biggest issue will be finding a Maxar50 25 watt 2ch UHF PL (NO DPL)mobile.
I don't know for sure yet but I may even have the gmrs crystals he will need if by chance I was informed correctly that the HT90 portable used the same crystal and if correct the private line plug in elements are same then I also have his pl tone code plugs as well so maybe im half way there already.
Just need some answers first and heres the kicker = I do know where two maxar50 mobiles are one a single ch the other is a 2ch but both are DPL units I need PL .(Both 25 watters in UHF)
Don't think a maxar 50 will allow me to do pl if its a dpl think you ordered it as one or the other and it wasn't easily changed.
Satelite
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

the price you are gonna pay doing up a maxar you could do the HHCH from a spectra and turn down the power .
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Still need to mount a full size radio somewhere and the equinox doesn't have a trunk like cars and not much room under seats with the electric motors for up down tilt forward back adjustments.
Spectras are known for needing recapped too so ????
So ill look at the tiny maxar if itll fit.
As stated above we already know its going to cost a bit more but that's what he wants so if I can that's what it will be.
Hes paying the bill.
Satelite
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I've played with VHF Maxar-80 radios. Heated crystal-controlled.They're nearly the same size as a MaxTrac. They all had DPL tone boards inside; I presume these got swapped for PL boards depending on how the radio was purchased. I don't know how these compare to the Maxar-50 though.

Bob M.
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

A maxar 50 is 5 inches wide and 8 inches long. The crystals are shorter than HT crystals and they plug in. No heat on crystals. I am looking at a PL model and there is no PL reed or plug. There is 2 rows of diodes and one in each row has been cut out. This may be PL programming. Boards are dated 1985.
"The world runs on radio."
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello Arlojanis:
Now were getting someplace.
Appreciate the info.
Please tell me you have one or more of these Maxar50 mobiles in UHF 25 watt 2 ch that could be bought .
If so id like to hear from you.
Satelite
EngineerZ

Post by EngineerZ »

Hello Satelite

Check your messages - I have a Maxar 50 for you.

--z

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”