Interesting Old Motorola Message Repeater

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WA6OXN
What radios do you own?: Saber, Astro Saber, Micor, Mot

Interesting Old Motorola Message Repeater

Post by WA6OXN »

I saw this on ebay and I thought a Moto collector might have an interest in this. I've never seen one like this before. Looks like some sort tape cartridge goes in the front.

fineshot1

Re: Interesting Old Motorola Message Repeater

Post by fineshot1 »

There were no tape cartridges in the tube era of this radio. They did not exist yet.
There should be a plate somewhere on it with a model number or perhaps a date code.
This looks very much like the late 50's or 60's era taxi mobile radios.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I did look it up on ebay just out of curiousity and did find the auction.
The above unit from reading the info on the message repeaters glass window does state -Remove the cartridge tape when not in use and does show a picture of the tape in a component that does indeed look like it fits the message repeater.
On the tape cassette it even says if tape is hanging loosely out of its housing to put it in the message repeater to wind in play.
So it actualy does appear to use a tape.
Odd looking thing though and interesting but I was wondering where or how it connected up to an antennae or was it just the record and playe piece to yet a radio ?
Satelite
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Must have been strictly a motorola feature at the time and was likely ahead of its time.
Is there any indication as to when this radio gear was manufactured or a model number?
This could be one for the record books so to speak.
fineshot1
NJ USA
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

It's interesting that it doesn't have a Motorola logo on it. It has the Motorola mic and Motorola on some parts, but the main unit is lacking the big M.

Very nice unit though. Will be a great addition to someones collection.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

This thread certainly piqued my interest so I looked up the auction to review any other pictures. While some components on the chassis are labeled "Motorola", one picture showed a label on the back with "Michigan Electronics" and a Chicago, Ill, address. The microphone is Motorola but guessing at the series of radios it originally went with and the rest of the chassis, I would say the mike was added at some point after the fact, perhaps and probably as a repair. I would guess, looking at the chassis, this unit was built perhaps in the mid to late 1950's.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Nagra used to make similar recorders in the 60s. They were designed to put out a taped message over the police channels. They were placed in locations that were prone to robberies ect. When the clerk pulled the switch it instantly went out....decreased the response time going through the alarm company and PD dispatch....
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The picture of the guts shows the chassis is stamped April 18 1958
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

abbylind wrote:Nagra used to make similar recorders in the 60s. They were designed to put out a taped message over the police channels. They were placed in locations that were prone to robberies ect. When the clerk pulled the switch it instantly went out....decreased the response time going through the alarm company and PD dispatch....
I believe that you are confusing Varda with Nagra. Varda used the recorded message when the alarm was tripped (by glass break sensor or trip wires etc.) to alert the cops over the air.

Nagra produces finely engineered audio recording devises. The Nagra three reel to reel body wire recorder was a favorite of the FBI, DEA, and state drug units to record under cover deals.

If I am confusing your statement I apologize.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”