Saber III speaker mic where and what to buy

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Eagle Scout
New User

Saber III speaker mic where and what to buy

Post by Eagle Scout »

I have now have some Saber 3 VHF radios that where passed on to me for my CERT team.
Where and what should I buy:
public service mic
Batteries.....
Rib box....
Programming cables.....
(I'm thinking the public service mic is a good idea to get that antenna up and make contact.)

My previous procedure Is used a 36" "sky wave" or telescoping whip on my old Bendix King...

I searched around this forum and found mention of do not use Astro saber speaker mics
Same with public service UHF mics
If any one can help I thank you in advance
JRUTA
What radios do you own?: APX6k Visar

Re: Saber III speaker mic where and what to buy

Post by JRUTA »

PSm is not recommended for VHF. Aftermarket batteries are available from several vendors including Power products, Cutrate, Honeywell and more. I'd recommend lithiums due to them being lightweight and don't suffer from "memory" problems. But be advised they must be charged in a tri-Chen charger. Rib boxes I'm not sure- others may have recommendations. Biggest problem you'll have is finding legit software. It isn't sold anymore (by Moto) but it's out there..
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Re: Saber III speaker mic where and what to buy

Post by FireCpt809 »

You do not want to use a PSM mic for VHF go with a regular 7" antenna on the radio. Saber speaker mics are cheap .. Also Sabers are not narrowband and wont do the splinter freqs

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”