What was the old style battery for a KVL 3011 keyloader?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tishers
What radios do you own?: Sabers Spectra Mobat XTS5000's

What was the old style battery for a KVL 3011 keyloader?

Post by Tishers »

Firstly,
I did search the forum for this particular question. The KVL T3011 keyloader was designed to use a portable radio battery. It was the very old style quarter turn twist style.. I think this was even pre-HT series. I remember having one issued to me back in the early 80's with this style of battery.

What radio model used the battery that works with the KVL? Obviously any battery that old will be as dead as Lincoln and would be a re-casing exercise with NiMh cells.

Maybe instead I will just gut the case, put in a power plug, LM317 regulator and a large capacitor.

I am trying to find an old battery for a KVL, for the life of me I cannot even find a picture of the old battery or what radios used it.

Any guidance?

thanks
Tisha, AA4HA
Ms. Tisha Hayes
Principal Consultant, Wireless and Telecom (EE)
Energy and Utilities Practice
also AA4HA
talviar

Re: What was the old style battery for a KVL 3011 keyloader?

Post by talviar »

If u mean the T3011 I don't think I threw our keyloader out yet. If you want the battery (its no good but usable for gutting), PM me a mailing address and I'll package it up and drop it in the mail if its still on the shelf.

If I remember right, I think it might have been an STX battery but don't remember. The last battery we bought was in 1998. . . . . . .

Tony
Tishers
What radios do you own?: Sabers Spectra Mobat XTS5000's

Post by Tishers »

I think it was the battery from the MX300 portables... circa 1975.

ePay has one for $55.... insane pricing.
Ms. Tisha Hayes
Principal Consultant, Wireless and Telecom (EE)
Energy and Utilities Practice
also AA4HA
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Yup, MX300 series battery. Still have a couple going that are 16 years old but still hold a charge in the area of 70% YMMV. The KVL's have a small power drawer and I've heard of folks running them on common 9V batteries but never had the need to try.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”