JT-1000 NiMH and Impres

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

JT-1000 NiMH and Impres

Post by Batman »

hi,

it has come time to replace my JT-1000 battery and i am looking into either another impres or NiMH.

will impres charge nimh batteries to full capacity? i realize i wouldn't have the impres functions and it would be just a straight charger or should i just go with another impres battery?

I am also looking for a reputable dealer that has good prices on batteries for this radio be it impres or nimh.

if i go impres i would want the high capacity battery.

this is for amateur radio use.

thanks
Thank You,

Robert
RFguy

Re: JT-1000 NiMH and Impres

Post by RFguy »

Batman wrote: will impres charge nimh batteries to full capacity?
What are you asking here?

Yes, IMPRES batteries charge fully as long as you're using a compatible charger. The charger does not need to be an IMPRES charger, but does need to be compatible with the battery chemestry that you're using.

Also, I don't belive they make IMPRES batteries for the HT1000/MTS2000 series anymore.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

To me, Impres is a waste for a Jedi radio. There is no gas gage on the screen, & there is no battery icon in the menu to see % of charge, how many charges, etc. However, I do love Impres on my APX, & XTS radios, where these features do exist. GARY
Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

Post by Batman »

i was asking if a NiMH battery will charge to full capacity in a impres charger
Thank You,

Robert
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

Yes it will. The charger I have, wpln4104, will charge NiMH, Li-ion and ni-cd.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

N4KVE wrote:To me, Impres is a waste for a Jedi radio. There is no gas gage on the screen, & there is no battery icon in the menu to see % of charge, how many charges, etc. However, I do love Impres on my APX, & XTS radios, where these features do exist. GARY
If you're someone who actually uses the radio day in day out, there's a huge benefit, e.g. about 100-150 additional charge cycles as compared to a legacy battery (actually probably more on a JEDI since there were only ever NiCD Impres batteries for this line).

Being able to see information on the screen about your battery is nice and all (if audible low battery alerts were somehow insufficient) but the real value of Impres is the 10-30% longer life over time
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

escomm wrote:
N4KVE wrote:To me, Impres is a waste for a Jedi radio. There is no gas gage on the screen, & there is no battery icon in the menu to see % of charge, how many charges, etc. However, I do love Impres on my APX, & XTS radios, where these features do exist. GARY
If you're someone who actually uses the radio day in day out, there's a huge benefit, e.g. about 100-150 additional charge cycles as compared to a legacy battery (actually probably more on a JEDI since there were only ever NiCD Impres batteries for this line).

Being able to see information on the screen about your battery is nice and all (if audible low battery alerts were somehow insufficient) but the real value of Impres is the 10-30% longer life over time
+1

The other biggest adavantage is the end-or-life indicator (flashing red/green). It's taken the guess work out of when a battery is bad and reduced our battery related issues to near zero.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”