Off Network Choices

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Off Network Choices

Post by Jim1348 »

My family and I will be traveling soon and I am eyeing up the off-network choices. I know that GoTenna and soon Beartooth will be available. I also received something today about a transceiver that attaches to a Motorola Moto Z smartphone. Has anybody else read about the Fantom Dynamics LINC smart walkie-talkie?

https://www.fantom.io/linc/?ct=t(Introd ... e9120d8f22
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Off Network Choices

Post by escomm »

So what are these, $30 GMRS radios with a battery in a housing that attaches to a phone making them cost 5x as much?
Jim1348

Off Network Choices

Post by Jim1348 »

While I don't know the price yet, that probably will be the case. I know the camera accessory isn't cheap. I think it is about $250.00! I suppose whether it is a smartphone or a radio, the old saying applies, Motorola--You will never get better and you will never pay more.

https://www.motorola.com/us/moto-mods
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Re: Off Network Choices

Post by NSPD »

I don't know about never get better but you will definitely never get more.

Fantom Dynamics has been working on a phone case multiband radio for a long time now, but their newest rendition leaves a lot to be desired IMHO. I can't see anyone actually using it.

Why not just go with regular radios? Pick up some cheap DN Visars and program them for MURS or if money isn't an object some SL300's.
Jake

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”