Best dual band (single or pair of radios) option with remote head for $300-350

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

256QAM

Best dual band (single or pair of radios) option with remote head for $300-350

Post by 256QAM »

Cross posted -

New to us 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so far proving to be a major PITA to upfit. This is technically a third vehicle for us (I have a take home fleet vehicle) so I'm not looking to spend a ton on it.

I'm looking for, at a bare minimum:
144-174 & 430-470 coverage
Remote heads
Analog conventional
Alpha display
Modern programming (Windows XP or newer)

My last vehicle (02 Trailblazer) that I sold to another OM with the radios in it (HIHI) had a W3 XTL5000 VHF 110w and remote mounted XPR4550 UHF high power which worked great. I have a remote mount high power VHF M3 MCS2000 and 7/8 XTL2500 in my take home truck.

I do have a need for VHF P25 and UHF DMR but I also carry handhelds for those modes so it's not critical, especially at this budget.

I currently have XTL/XPR and MCS programming gear I carry in my go kit.

Pair of mid power remote mount MCS2000s? I hate to go hammo direction but there are a number of dual band remote mount mobiles in that $250-350 price point, none of which are Part 90 type accepted but would suffice as a scanner.

Thoughts?

Let's see if WKJeeps will let me hot link:

I have a similar dash to this one without the nav screen:
syntor9k
New User
What radios do you own?: Syntor X9000, Spectras, EFJ...

Re: Best dual band (single or pair of radios) option with remote head for $300-350

Post by syntor9k »

I'm not an expert on Spectra Astro's, so I might have some of the jargon wrong:
-- Spectra Astro with O1, HH remote mic; Or Astro Spectra W3 HHCH Control Head. Both bands...
256QAM

Re: Best dual band (single or pair of radios) option with remote head for $300-350

Post by 256QAM »

Gotcha, thanks for the reply!
NHfirefighter

Post by NHfirefighter »

If you want P25 watch for deals on mid power Astro Spectras with the W3 control heads. I have mounted the hhch using vehicle specific mounts from proclips. Cuts down on holes in the dash, etc and puts the hhch at easy reach and read.

Proclips - http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-mou ... /2006.cmsv
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I have a newer Grand Cherokee and put in a Motorola XTL 5000 high power. I made a metal saddle out of a rack panel and fit it over where the rear cup holder is just in front of the center arm rest. Then mounted the normal control head bracket to the U bracket i made and screwed to the plastic console.

I found in my vehicle that the vehicle battery was mounted in a box under the passenger's seat. I also found that there was a second unused box under the drivers seat. I mounted the radio there. Was able to coil up the extra trunk mount control cable in the box under the drivers seat.

The center console in your vehicle is different, so unless you willing to loose the cup holder you have, my install won't work for you. The gear shift in my vehicle is on the side and there is a double cup holder on the right side of the gear shift.

Jim
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

One other option... Find some of those mic clip mounts made for the sides of consoles on sort of an "L-Bracket", remove the stereo or trim around it temporarily and install the brackets between the dash and where the stereo slides back in, then slide the stereo in. No visible holes in the dash and you have a solid, secure mic clip at an excellent viewing angle.
Jake

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”