MCS2000 power up with no head

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb9mwr

MCS2000 power up with no head

Post by kb9mwr »

Wondering if anyone knows how to trick the radio out so you can run it with no head. I believe the VRM radios are MCS based. And I have read you can use the RCH3000 (the deskset console) in place of the normal head.

Thanks
codefoxed
New User

Re: MCS2000 power up with no head

Post by codefoxed »

Wiring ignition sense to input power should do it.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

VRM650 radios are MCS-based, but the radio still sees the modem as a control head. Same with the RCH3000.

I don't *think* the radio will power on without an established SB9600 connection to a control head, but I could be wrong.
codefoxed
New User

Post by codefoxed »

I have a European MCS2000 MR504A M01RHM9PW5BN with a remote head kit fitted (the RHK is passive; you can see the radio's internal connector for the CH). The control head and cabling is missing.

It powers on fine with just the emergency link, but beeps and whimpers because it can't see the Model II control head. Doesn't stop receive/transmit working through the accessory port though, and it makes a lovely data radio (set in VRM100 mode).

If you set up vRCH, you get a FAIL error for the missing control head, but it settles down and runs anyway.

Flashcode 000001-000000-9, firmware 3.13.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”