Anyone used app_rpt? Tone remote support?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Anyone used app_rpt? Tone remote support?

Post by fogster »

I've had an old CommandPlus (rebadged Gaitronics) dispatch console kicking around for probably a couple years now. I'm also a Linux nerd and run a small Asterisk phone system. Does anyone know if app_rpt natively supports the funky tones used on tone remote consoles? There are the keyup/etc. tones, but also a superimposed tone on transmit audio. It's not clear to me whether this can be accomplished. It's unclear whether that's supported

just curious if anyone's tried this before before I gut an old computer and start experimenting.
Astro Spectra

Re: Anyone used app_rpt? Tone remote support?

Post by Astro Spectra »

I've used app_rpt in AllStar and had a quick play with the MDC function which seemed to work.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

That depends largely on which audio codec you use and how solid your network connection is between endpoints. Using 8k GSM encoding over public internet is not going to work.
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Post by fogster »

I was going to do this over local Gigabit Ethernet, so bandwidth won't be a problem. :)

What I'm really wondering is whether the software has native support for tone consoles, though. I.e., can it sense the tones and know what to do with them? Ideally I'd have a Raspberry Pi on a radio and a Raspberry Pi on the console, and let Asterisk handle knowing when there's TX/RX audio, stripping the tones, etc. I didn't see anything in the docs about whether I'd have to write this myself or not.

Haven't had the chance to just go try it yet. :(
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'm only aware of the MDC1200 support that was mentioned previously. AFAIK there is no native support for function tones or in-band tone signalling. Provided you have sufficient audio fidelity I don't see why it wouldn't work, albeit with delays.

Telex IP-223s/DSP-223s and Avtec Scouts will do it all day long, but they're purpose-built commercial products.
d119

Post by d119 »

DSP223? Thought that was just a tone remote adapter?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”