Boards for Alternate Brands

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

Boards for Alternate Brands

Post by Birken Vogt »

OK, I have a question about programming what I would consider Motorola's Major Kompetitor brand...but radio info board seems to have very few replies to any question and communications support seems to have closed up shop...is there another better place on the web for the Kompetition now or am I out of luck?
Jim202

Re: Boards for Alternate Brands

Post by Jim202 »

Birken Vogt wrote:OK, I have a question about programming what I would consider Motorola's Major Kompetitor brand...but radio info board seems to have very few replies to any question and communications support seems to have closed up shop...is there another better place on the web for the Kompetition now or am I out of luck?

As I keep trying to tell people that post on the group here, you can't get an answer if you don't provide the details.

What brand and what model radio are you trying to obtain information for? Once you decide to provide it, you might be surprised just how much help is forth coming.

We can only work with what we are given. So the current answer has to be "Got to this site".
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

Well since you asked here is the problem:

TK5710

Using OST in the CDF style

When any OST is selected, the OST rx PL is also selected which is set to "none" for all tones so it goes to carrier squelch.

With the loss of geographic separation and use of splinters these days that means we frequently hear on-channel users in the distance we don't want to hear.

The TK-790 had special CDF firmware to make the radio continue to use the hard coded rx PL .

I thought I recalled that the 5710 had a ome-off firmware (loaded by computer) that worked in the CDF style but I can't find anyone to fess up to knowing if this is true or false. I have a Ver. 2 radio which I know they are using in CDF. I also have a current code plug that I got from CDF so it ought to work if it is going to work at all.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yes there is special firmware available for the TK5710, I believe the option code is L-869
Birken Vogt

Post by Birken Vogt »

I show L869 as the labor code for the 790 CDF option, I can't imagine it is the same code number for the 5710 but stranger things have happened....
Birken Vogt

TK-5710 CDF Firmware (Was: Re: Boards for Alternate Brands)

Post by Birken Vogt »

Well about a dozen phone calls to colleagues who seemed to have forgotten this issue, finally got the correct answer so far as I can tell.

It needs firmware checksum # A8E7 to work properly. No idea what version this is. Also I am told this is for Version 2 hardware only, Version 3 radios might use something different and of course Verison 1 radios are pretty much worthless.

We had to search high and low to find a copy but it seems to work.

One side effect is that the "A" box in the screen is now on at all times. Also the radio has occasionally landed on scan on channels I am sure I had programmed not to scan but this does not surprise me too much. It is like they did not test the firmware too well on this thing.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”