Astro Spectra - bad caps - every production run?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Astro Spectra - bad caps - every production run?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Will every single Astro Spectra radio eventually have bad cap issues? So radio's manufactured in 1991 and 2005 (ie a 14 year gap) will all suffer from bad caps...or are late production run radios OK?
tvsjr

Re: Astro Spectra - bad caps - every production run?

Post by tvsjr »

I've never seen one that didn't, at some point in its life. The wave of China crap caps pretty much affected everything (including consumer electronics) during that period.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

In what year did the caps become "good caps"?

Do any other Motorola radios suffer from bad caps such as XTL's or MCS's?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I seem to be the lone outlier in that I have never seen an Astro Spectra with bad caps... and I have seen a *lot* of Astro Spectras. Analog Spectras are another matter entirely.

Analog radios with white serial tags (manufactured between 1991 and 1994-ish) almost always had bad caps, and at this point in their life are most likely unrepairable if they haven't been fixed already. Black-tag radios (1994 and onward) were hit-or-miss. IIRC the Astro Spectra didn't go into production until 1994 so (and again, this has not been my personal experience) they are also hit-or-miss. Radios that spent their lives in hotter climates were also much more likely to leak and damage the boards beyond repair.

MCS and XTL radios were unaffected. This is strictly a Spectra issue as far as Motorola mobiles go.
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the leaky cap gods, I'm going to agree with Moto_Otaku here. I've owned thirty or so Astros and haven't seen the bad caps issue pop up yet. Hell, I've got a classic railroad spectra from '91 that hasn't died yet. (knock on wood, I've been meaning to recap it for a while)

Obviously I'm not saying it's not an issue that occurs. I do wonder though, since they're getting up there in age if all of the radios that were going to fail have already done so and we're just left with all the survivors?
jry

Post by jry »

Would suspect they will all eventually fail but most of the failures I have seen were on the analog Spectra's. These were in the 5 to 10 year old range.
One of the clues was a black deposit on and around some of the higher voltage ( 12vdc ) components from the caps starting to leak and corroding the parts and PCB.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

W3AXL - did you acquire 30 "random" untested Astro Spectras or were they all tested and working radios when you acquired them?

Has anybody recently bought a late production P25 Astro Spectra (not the analog Spectra) and had the leaky cap issue?
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I've just been reading about an Astro Spectra PLUS which is an XTL5000 in a Astro Spectra body.

The write up said that the caps had already been professionally replaced (just in case).

As the PLUS is actually an XTL radio, presumably replacing the caps was a complete waste of time...or is it something to do with the old Astro control head?
kj4chv
New User

Post by kj4chv »

g8tzl2004 wrote:I've just been reading about an Astro Spectra PLUS which is an XTL5000 in a Astro Spectra body.

The write up said that the caps had already been professionally replaced (just in case).

As the PLUS is actually an XTL radio, presumably replacing the caps was a complete waste of time...or is it something to do with the old Astro control head?
Astro Spectra Plus by firmware/software is pretty much an XTL. However hardware wise (minus vocon board) are the same as a regular astro spectra. With that being said the only thing different between astro spectra and analog spectra is the command board/vocon.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

g8tzl2004 wrote:Has anybody recently bought a late production P25 Astro Spectra (not the analog Spectra) and had the leaky cap issue?
I have a clean cab Astro from 2003. Clean as a whistle.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I've seen it happen in newer Astros, but will dramatically less frequency. Hard to tell if that's a function of age or if things got better in later years. But I don't have anything Spectra/Astro Spectra left.
TWEMARS
What radios do you own?: More than you can ever imagine

Post by TWEMARS »

Astro Spectra Plus by firmware/software is pretty much an XTL. However hardware wise (minus vocon board) are the same as a regular astro spectra. With that being said the only thing different between astro spectra and analog spectra is the command board/vocon.

I realize I'm a few years behind on this BUT the Receiver Synthesizer board is also different in an Astro
I have a Halcyon TIMS. It has an audio spectrum analyzer.
I have an IFR 1200. It has an audio distortion analyzer.
I can test and alter the audio response and distortion of my analog radio system to make it sound better.
I have a pair of socks.
Why would I want to put them in my mouth just so I could sound like I'm using a DMR radio?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”