Cell Antenna Gain

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tuckerm

Cell Antenna Gain

Post by tuckerm »

I have a question about Antenna Gains with Cell Phone antennas.

I currently have a BROWNING BR-2427 NMO antenna connected to a Verizon hotspot. The gain is 3.5dBi on the 700mhz LTE stuff. It is adapted from Mini UHF to SMA to TS9 for the hotspot. I'm about ready to install a Cradlepoint with a Panorama LGMMB-7-27-24-58 antenna that has two elements in it with a gain of 2.3dBi.

My question is this: With the two elements at 2.3dBi, would I see an increase in signal over the one 3.5dBi antenna I currently have? Does the two elements each have 2.3dBi giving me ~4.6dBi?

Thank you.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Bill_G

Re: Cell Antenna Gain

Post by Bill_G »

No. It would be a net loss in gain, but not much. Cradlepoints use diversity antennas. Their gains are independent. They do not sum.
tuckerm

Re: Cell Antenna Gain

Post by tuckerm »

Not sure what I was thinking, but you are for sure right. Guess thats what happens when I write these up at night.

I ended up returning the Panorama antenna. It actually performed WORSE than the little screw in antennas that came with the Cradlepoint. Ended up ordering a Larson that should give me a bunch of gain and it's also $220 cheaper.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”