Interface product for back to back radios

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RFguy

Interface product for back to back radios

Post by RFguy »

Not sure what section to put this in, so I just put it in the general area.

I need to patch a simplex analog channel to a talkgroup on a MOTOTRBO Capacity+ system.

It's only occasional use so I'm looking at using 2 mobiles with some type of bi-directional interface. Ideally it would have some voice delay (1/4 to 1/2 second). More delay needed for the simplex analog to the Cap+ system than the Cap+ to simplex system.

What I'm looking for is an off-the-shelf controller. I can do the interfacing no problem, I just prefer to use a standard controller of some type.

Any suggestions of a controller?

Thanks.
Bill_G

Re: Interface product for back to back radios

Post by Bill_G »

Bi-directional controllers are common. It's the delay that isn't. You could put two NXU-2A's back to back using the RX buffer to set your delay timing.
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

Or if you want cheaper, go with a RICK or one of the many cables that serve the same purpose. When audio delay is needed I use the RAD board from Arcom. Easy to work with and splice inline.
Lots and lots of watts...
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

I find the delay on the TRBO vocoder is usually sufficient enough when going from analog to TRBO. I would just go radio to radio and give it a try.

PTT to COR
COR to PTT
TX to RCV
RCV to TX
GND to GND
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Great info. Thanks.

I think I'll try the simple route first as ve3nsv suggested and see how it works. can always go more complicated as needed.

I did find this product on a Google search:

Bi-directional repeater controller http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-7/
Audio delay card http://www.nhrc.net/nhrc-dad-2/index.php
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I've done a number of direct back to back TRBO-to-other radio set ups and haven't ran across any issues with syllables being cut off, etc. I really like using the XPR mobiles even on the analog side, since you can turn off AGC and control the analog & digital rear accessory mic gains on both sides of the set up to get very good audio levels. Not so good if you leave the AGC on though!
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”