Waris / CDM - out of band - CP Tool vs simple hex edit?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Waris / CDM - out of band - CP Tool vs simple hex edit?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have previously used a hex editor to extend the band edges of my Maxtrac and other radios.

With the Waris / CDM line, the old Batlabs pages says to hex edit the original GP300.exe file by finding the original band edge in hex and then replacing with it the extended band edge and then to make sure that that the checksum is correct.

The various Batboard postings recommend using the codeplug tool (or cptool).

Is the cptool doing something different? I think it might involve using a default (non-original) CP so the tuning values are not correct (tuning values are held in the codeplug)...so you have to save the original tuning values and then upload them.

Do I need to use the cptool because extending the band edge in a CDM/Waris involves more than just changing to a new band edge in hex (so Batlabs is wrong)? Or can I just edit the original GP300.exe file like it says on Batlabs?
motorola_otaku

Re: Waris / CDM - out of band - CP Tool vs simple hex edit?

Post by motorola_otaku »

The steps for modifying recent/current CPS were never posted on this forum. You can take your chances with Austech, or you can use the codeplug method. I prefer the codeplug method because the mod stays with the radio, and you can make changes with any CPS install on any computer.

Tuning values do need to be read and saved in Tuner RSS before modifying the codeplug, but it's a simple process.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Is the "codeplug method" the same as just editing the correct file (GP300.exe) with a hex editor to extend the band limit....or is it the same as using the cptool?

When I extended the band edge on my 10m Maxtrac I just edited the relevant codeplug file using a hexeditor.

There is also chirp and the excellent W7CR tool but my Waris is a European 10m GM360 which uses different firmware so W7CR's app will not work.

I'm also unsure whether I should be changing the tuning frequencies (or piers) as well as the band edges. You get problems with 220 MHz Waris radios because the radio gets confused as the tuning linear interpolation has no reference points when you program the radio out of band...so you need to extend the tuning frequency points as well as band edges?
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

motorola-otaku - what is the Austech method? Is this the mod which involves modifying the laptops registry and .dll's??

After spending 2 weeks working out the best way to get my Euro Waris GM360 onto 10m (which is identical to a CDM1550 but has Euro firmware), I have just begun experimenting with the CPS and by default you can input out of band frequencies +/- 5MHz!!!!!!!!! So it looks like I can "officially" prog my 10m Waris radio down to 24.7 MHz !!! Its the same with Euro Waris VHF and UHF radios ....+/- 5MHz OOB....its looks like Motorola GmBH is ham friendly!!!

I wonder why you can't do the same with US CDM's??

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”