Impres Initialize Yellow Light. right ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Impres Initialize Yellow Light. right ?

Post by RadioSouth »

Hi all,
I have a couple of the single unit Impres chargers WPLN4114AR single unit non display chargers and (4) supposed New HNN9028AR Impres batteries. Upon inserting I get 3 yellow flashes then Steady Red for about 90 min. before finishing up as Steady Green. This is my first experience with Impres batteries and what I've ready these should have gone steady yellow during initializing, perhaps these had been charged previously ?
RFguy

Re: Impres Initialize Yellow Light. right ?

Post by RFguy »

A new IMPRES battery should go solid yellow first time it's put in an IMPRES charger (initialization), so it may have already been initialized (I believe the HNN9028AR has was cancelled in early 2014, so it's probably not a new battery)

If you put the battery in the charger, then pull it out and put it back it within a few seconds, that will force a recondition (steady yellow).
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Appreciate the reply. Guess I should have said NOS, they're 1413. Can't get the recondition to take, keeps going to red on every insertion. Will forcing the recondition work if these were by chance initialized in a non Impres charger ?
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

You should be able to force the recondition regardless of how they were originally charged.

You could also try leaving them in the charger for 12-16 hours and then try to force a recondition.

Good luck
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If it just flashes several times then does a full red cycle, it means the batteries were discharged to the point that the charger couldn't discharge them any further, and so it put them through a full rapid charge cycle.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

My experience with Impress chargers is you pull the battery out, and immediately reinsert it to force a rapid charge thus bypassing the conditioning cycle.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Bill_G wrote:My experience with Impress chargers is you pull the battery out, and immediately reinsert it to force a rapid charge thus bypassing the conditioning cycle.
What you describe is this is the case if the battery is in a reconditioning cycle (solid yellow).

If the battery is not in a reconditioning cycle and you pull it out and put it back in, it forces the battery to a reconditioning cycle.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Thanks guys. The batteries I had left showed about 4.5 standing volts. After charging about 15 minutes and getting some voltage into them I was able to get them to go steady yellow (only about 5 min.) then went to steady Red. I'm guessing standing voltage on these 3 year old batteries was too little to get the Impres function working ? Got them on the BMS and after a few cycles I'll try the Impres charger again to see if they regained their Impres function, if not I'll just run them like non Impres batteries.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RFguy wrote:
Bill_G wrote:My experience with Impress chargers is you pull the battery out, and immediately reinsert it to force a rapid charge thus bypassing the conditioning cycle.
What you describe is this is the case if the battery is in a reconditioning cycle (solid yellow).

If the battery is not in a reconditioning cycle and you pull it out and put it back in, it forces the battery to a reconditioning cycle.
No kidding. You can force conditioning on a battery outside it's stored history. Learn something new everyday. Thx!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

RadioSouth wrote:Thanks guys. The batteries I had left showed about 4.5 standing volts. After charging about 15 minutes and getting some voltage into them I was able to get them to go steady yellow (only about 5 min.) then went to steady Red. I'm guessing standing voltage on these 3 year old batteries was too little to get the Impres function working ? Got them on the BMS and after a few cycles I'll try the Impres charger again to see if they regained their Impres function, if not I'll just run them like non Impres batteries.
Yes, if the batteries have self-discharged to that point, they will require at least one full charge/discharge/charge cycle before the Impres charger will decide to put them through a conditioning cycle. I had to go though this when analyzing a bunch of batteries that had sat for about 4-5 years on a shelf.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Good deal. Thanks

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”