What's the point of an Impres lithium battery?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

What's the point of an Impres lithium battery?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

While I understand that Nicad and NiMH batteries need to be cycled to recondition them, I always though that lithium batteries did not have any "memory effect" and you can top them up without having to cycle them with no issues.

Does the Impres charger automatically attempt to recondition a lithium battery...or is it only with NiMH batteries?

I guess one benefit of an Impres lithium battery will be that you can get some indication of capacity.
RFguy

Re: What's the point of an Impres lithium battery?

Post by RFguy »

#1 benefit of IMPRES (in my opinion) is user notification of faulty batteries.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

g8tzl2004 wrote:While I understand that Nicad and NiMH batteries need to be cycled to recondition them, I always though that lithium batteries did not have any "memory effect" and you can top them up without having to cycle them with no issues.

Does the Impres charger automatically attempt to recondition a lithium battery...or is it only with NiMH batteries?

I guess one benefit of an Impres lithium battery will be that you can get some indication of capacity.
You should research Li battery charging methods. The days of simply applying a power source to a battery through a resistor or light bulb are gone. To gain the advantages of Li - higher capacity per weight - requires some precision charging management to preserve the cells to their maximum lifetime.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I'm aware of the issues with Lithium ion batteries and the various backup systems included in the charging management circuit to prevent overcharging and possible explosions!!

But you can buy a non-Impress Motorola lithium battery which does not have the "advantages" of an Impres lithium battery.

With an Impress NiMH battery, the advantages of Impres includes automatically cycling the battery to maintain maximum capacity...so you can resolve issues caused by constantly topping up a 70% full battery.

But with an Impres lithium battery, there is no need to automatically cycle the battery as there are no "memory effects"...so the only advantage of an Impres lithium battery is having an indication of battery capacity....or an I missing something??
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

The biggest advantage with LIon and newer technologies is more mAh in a smaller size. Other options are only available because of the reduced cost.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

But why pay extra for an "Impres" lithium battery rather than just using a non-Impres lithium battery?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'm not sure Motorola even sells non-Impres LIon batteries, at least not for the TRBO and Astro product lines. Also, what Bill_G said.
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

Impres batteries for our XTS5000 last an average of 4 to 6 years in police. They are assigned their radios. Non impres last 2 years.

In fire service, we see 3 years average but that is 1300+ charges. They usually have 30 re-condition cycle.

This is why you buy impres, the re-condition cycle, won't charge a too cold or hot battery either.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

But you don't need to recondition a lithium battery.....only Nicad and NiMH batteries need reconditioning?

My XPR3500 uses an original Motorola "non-Impress" lithium battery....the battery looks identical to my XPR7550 Impress lithium batteries except there is no "Impres" printed anywhere on the battery.
Jim1348

What's The Point Of An IMPRES Lithium Battery?

Post by Jim1348 »

I was just in a two day radio class Friday and Saturday. We discussed the IMPRES batteries and chargers. The instructor stated that there is still value in running the IMPRES batteries completely dead from time to time. What do people here think about that? I had originally been told that this was unnecessary with IMPRES technology.
triptolemus

Post by triptolemus »

When I hear stuff like that, I always tend to ask... what are the qualifications of the instructor?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

g8tzl2004 wrote:But you don't need to recondition a lithium battery.....only Nicad and NiMH batteries need reconditioning?
Ugh, this drives me bonkers... you're not conditioning an IMPRES battery, you're calibrating it. The full discharge/recharge cycle is necessary to keep the charge percentage value accurate.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

The label on the base of my XPR Impres charger says "steady orange = reconditioning" :)

So it should say "recalibrating"
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I haven't looked into the mechanisms behind it, but the new 'Impres2' marketing materials indicate a 40% increase in overall battery cycles for Impres2 LiON batteries when paired with an Impres2 charger, compared to 'standard' LiON batteries and chargers...so there are apparent advantages despite what you've been led to believe about the memory effect with LiON.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

So does the power management circuit in an Impres battery "disable" the battery when the capacity falls below, say, 80% of the original battery capacity?

Rather than let the user decide to replace the battery, the Impres system just kills the battery even though its "80% good"?
radiokid

Post by radiokid »

They will keep working below 80%. They will work until they will not charge. We have Impres batteries for MTS2000 that are 1/2 capacity after 10 years.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

g8tzl2004 wrote:So does the power management circuit in an Impres battery "disable" the battery when the capacity falls below, say, 80% of the original battery capacity?

Rather than let the user decide to replace the battery, the Impres system just kills the battery even though its "80% good"?
No. What leads you to this conclusion?
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

One day the Impres battery charges OK...but the next day the charger will not charge the battery....flashing red light

What has changed? Why is the charger rejecting the battery?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

g8tzl2004 wrote:One day the Impres battery charges OK...but the next day the charger will not charge the battery....flashing red light

Does it charge in a non-Impres charger? There is a relatively complex circuit board within the battery case as well, all it takes is a component failure or break in connection.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

g8tzl2004 wrote:One day the Impres battery charges OK...but the next day the charger will not charge the battery....flashing red light

Could be for a number of reasons. Here is a good link: http://batteryuniversity.com/

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”