Quantar Audio Problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ldanna

Quantar Audio Problem

Post by ldanna »

Group was great on a previous issue, now I have another head scratcher. I've been running a UHF Quantar repeater for almost 2 years with no problems. Now I have no repeat audio. Quantar is configured as a base with an external controller. Rx feeds the controller and the output of the controller feeds the Quantar. There are several link paths so that's why the external controller is needed. The Rx side is fine. the controller will key up the Quantar on a received signal but no repeated audio. The Quantar does output the PL tone on the carrier . The controller audio is interfaced to the Quantar via the 25 Pair telco connector using the Line 1 input which parallels the orange wire line connector. I initially thought the wire line TX audio adjustment had to be reset so I followed the procedure to set the wire line level. I put in a 1Khz tone at the Line 1 input at -10 Db . Made the adjustment. After making the adjustment I keyed the TX from the test screen . Tx came up and my 1kkz tone was repeated just fine. I even turned off the tone and put a signal into the Rx. which feeds the Line 1 input sure enough repeated audio. I go out of the alignment screen and the Quantar did it's reset . Tried to key up with a signal to the Rx and the repeater keyed up, PL was present but NO repeated audio. So here is what I know so far. Audio is present at the Line 1 input. System keys up, audio can get to TX under the alignment scenario. but in normal operation No repeated audio. Looks like audio is muted some how. Any Ideas of where to look? Is this a PTT priority issue ? Not sure as it worked fine before. I am Keying the PTT from the 25 pair input what audio follows it. I assumed it was the wireline audio

thanks for reading

Larry
Bill_G

Re: Quantar Audio Problem

Post by Bill_G »

Reprog it for internal repeat to bypass all your external equipment. If that fails, your controller or backplane took a hit somehow. If that works, then recheck all your external connections again.
d119

Post by d119 »

Larry,

Before doing anything, check this out: http://p25.io/quantar-ttn4094-repair/

Hopefully your board is a TTN4094 so you can fix this. It is fairly simple, happened to me on my silver chassis R2 Quantar that plays ham box.
syscon411
New User

Post by syscon411 »

I'm running into the same issue except i'm only using the internal controllers on repeat. sounds fine in the alignment screen. i'm running back to back between 2 quantars for simulcast over a E&M circuit. when a radio keys up the repeater keys and just hear dead air on the other repeater.
Wireline is wired as:
site1 line1(input) to site2 line2(output)
site2 line1(input) to site1 line2(output)
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

syscon411 wrote:I'm running into the same issue except i'm only using the internal controllers on repeat. sounds fine in the alignment screen. i'm running back to back between 2 quantars for simulcast over a E&M circuit. when a radio keys up the repeater keys and just hear dead air on the other repeater.
Wireline is wired as:
site1 line1(input) to site2 line2(output)
site2 line1(input) to site1 line2(output)
This was answered at the "other site". You don't fully explain how you wired up the two back to back stations, but you must have done something right to have the receiving station key the other. However, without commands in the wildcard table, the stations don't know where to pickup the tx audio input.

If they are truely back to back, you can do it all off the 25pr Amphenol plug without going through the wireline plug. Take those plugs to 66 blocks, make the appropriate cross connects, write the wildcard tables, and away you go. I'd have to find my notes from years ago to give you specific pins, but you should be able to figure it out if you at least have the manual for the back plane describing the plugs.
syscon411
New User

Post by syscon411 »

Sorry I should have mentioned my wildcard setup too. (i'm running on no sleep)
wildcard input 1 set to low, table 1 is input aux 1 active then key from wl else wait 100 then dekey from wl

Wireline cards configured for 4 wire/half duplex

wiring is E signal(PTT) to telco pin 11(AUX 1),GND to telco 7(Signal GND)

Audio lines:
site1 pin1 (line 1+) to site2 pin2 (line 2+)
site1 pin2 (line 2+) to site2 pin1 (line 1+)
site1 pin26 (line 1-) to site2 pin27 (line 2-)
site1 pin27 (line 2-) to site2 pin26 (line 1-)

The site1 keys site2 just fine and the PL goes active and vie-versa when keyed from other direction, i just get no audio, only quiet noise.(slight whitenoise).

Thanks for the help!

[also posted at "other site"]
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Sounds correct. It's possible your wireline card is bad then. You can try using the WB (wideband) input.
syscon411
New User

Post by syscon411 »

WB audio works fine, this is happening on 3 different quantars, Ive even tried swapping WIB's with no luck. Even went as far as changing the transformer jumpers on the WIB's. Again the strange part is that when i put the units in TX wireline alignment mode i can hear the audio when keying and calibrating.

Not sure what else to do. I might just use the WB audio and scrap the WL inputs. The WL output works fine.

WL out to WB in, then set the wildcard up for Key on WL + AUXTX-TXON // Dekey WL + AUXTX-TXOFF

My wife suggested i read the manual so i did - No Joy.

:banghead:

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”