XTS5000 "thin" lithium battery - now dead - why?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

XTS5000 "thin" lithium battery - now dead - why?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

My nice thin lithium battery for my XTS5000 has stopped charging - flashing red LED.

The battery was dead (not sure of the voltage) and when I inserted it into my "intelligent" charger it went steady red. I wanted to test a radio so I took the battery off charge early (say after 30 minutes) but the battery was dead (0v). When I reinserted the battery I got a red flashing LED.

I have tried numerous trickle chargers to get some charge into the battery but nothing works.

Is there a power management IC in the battery which has decided that it will not allow the battery to take a charge?

If so, is there a way to reset the battery...I've sort of done this with "newish" XPR Impres batteries which are at 0v by trickle charging and manually pulse charging...which seems to work. The thin lithium battery is probably 10 years old but has only had a few cycles...less than 50 I would say.

Any ideas?
resqguy911

Re: XTS5000 "thin" lithium battery - now dead - why?

Post by resqguy911 »

Is it the old original non-impres li-ion battery? I wouldn't be trying to jumpstart that one unless you like fireworks.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I was only trickle charging at 60mA for a few minutes....NOT 20A :)

I wonder if the battery internal impedance gets too high and the power management circuit will not pass current?

My "intelligent" AA/AAA NiMH charger refuses to charge AA and AAA's where the internal resistance is too high....so I have to use a slightly less intelligent charger to charge these batteries....still plenty of life for running low current apps such as weather stations....my "collection" of weather stations are all run from old NiMH's that my super intelligent charger says are no good!!!
3-SAM-12
Batboard $upporter

Post by 3-SAM-12 »

What charger are you using? The round hockey puck or the square Jedi style?
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Rectangular Jedi style?...shoe type...works with Sabers, MTS2000 and XTS radios.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Those non impres LION batts got iffy with age.

Typical of Lion chemistry. One day they just die with very little degradation.
Jason

IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”