MOF230 handheld scanning programming

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ny1a
What radios do you own?: XPR8300, XPR7550e, SL7550

MOF230 handheld scanning programming

Post by ny1a »

After many years of watching eBay, I finally acquired a MOF230 handheld from qoromu in Indonesia. The radio looks like new and works perfectly, as checked on my service monitor. Qoromu also provided me with a copy of the appropriate Wookie, and I have had no trouble programming the unit with one exception: I can’t get scan to work. I created and populated a scan list. Then I enabled scanning and selected that list in the personality. Finally, I assigned the scan function to a side button. When I press the button, the scan indicator comes on in the display, and the radio appears to be scanning. However, the radio does not appear to stop on any signal. When a signal is introduced, there is a brief click in the speaker, but the display does not change, and no audio is passed.

I am mystified. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would be glad to send you the code plug if that would help.

Thanks.

David, NY1A
David, NY1A
motorola_otaku

Re: MOF230 handheld scanning programming

Post by motorola_otaku »

I had to assign it to the ABC switch iirc. Been a while since I touched it.

The whole MOF line runs very buggy firmware, and you're going to encounter all kinds of quirks like this. Example: the mobile will not power off at the power button if the ignition sense line has power. Also it stays in monitor mode, permanently, and nothing you can do in programming will change it.
ny1a

Post by ny1a »

Thank you so much for responding. Unfortunately, that didn’t fix it. Any other ideas?
David, NY1A
ny1a

Post by ny1a »

I just had another thought. If you’ve ever programmed one and got it to work, do you by chance have a codeplug saved on a hard drive somewhere that you could send me?
David, NY1A
ny1a

Post by ny1a »

Still no solution here. I am surprised that of all the Motorola wisdom and experts on the batboard, no one has any ideas about this.
David, NY1A
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

You might (probably) have a defective radio. Scan works just fine in my radio when programmed as described above. I was also able to assign it to the coencentric switch with no issues.

There is zero support from Motorola on these radios and parts availability is nil, so when something band-specific dies you're SOL. :( If I used 220 portable more than once or twice a year to work on repeaters I would have gotten a HT1250, which does have support and parts availability.

edit: I don't share codeplugs and I don't work on other people's codeplugs. Nothing personal, I've just been burned in the past.
ny1a

Post by ny1a »

Well, if it’s a defective radio then I have two of them that are defective in the same way.

I guess I’ll just throw them away. Thanks.
David, NY1A

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”