Saber 1 burning up

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radio Intelligence Agency

Saber 1 burning up

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

Hi guys,
I have a few ones on the Sabers.

I have a 136-150MHz Saber1 Securenet-S which will not x-mit at all. First I thought it was due to the missing secure module and therefore I fitted a dummy to it which didn´t solve the problem. Then I added a DES module still no difference. Okay then maybe the PA so I switched that one to a 148-162MHz and replaced both FDS and the Synthesizer so that they fit the PA. Still won´t x-mit but Frq goes as high as 171MHz on the RX side except for poor reciever performance. I noticed that the radio kinda kills a battery in a few hours and the back of the radio gets warm (not very warm) and it seems to be around where the Synthesizer is located.
What is wrong with this radio? Can I swap parts to a UHF Board (have two 70cm radios) or are they band specific in any way?

Thanks in advance.
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.
motorola_otaku

Re: Saber 1 burning up

Post by motorola_otaku »

I noticed that the radio kinda kills a battery in a few hours and the back of the radio gets warm (not very warm) and it seems to be around where the Synthesizer is located.
This is a known issue with failed PA modules. If you already swapped PA modules they're likely both bad.

You can swap all the band-specific modules out with UHF ones and blast in a UHF codeplug, but you'll need to do a full service alignment afterwards.
Radio Intelligence Agency

Re: Saber 1 burning up

Post by Radio Intelligence Agency »

Thanks for filling me in on this I appreciate it. I´ll see if I can dig up a third PA just to try my luck again

BTW: The UHF board is different due to rx specific HW
Keep it under your hat.

Man´s got to know his limitations.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”