DMR 40 bit encryption

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Max

DMR 40 bit encryption

Post by Max »

Since the Enhanced Privacy 40 bit encryption in any XPR 4550,5550 is hackable , does using RAS add any extra layer of security from eavesdropping ?

MAX
RFguy

Re: DMR 40 bit encryption

Post by RFguy »

My understanding is RAS does not add any additional level of encryption, just limits access to a repeater.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Max wrote:Since the Enhanced Privacy 40 bit encryption in any XPR 4550,5550 is hackable...
Source? Enhanced Privacy is the at the same level as ADP in the P25 world, and if it had been openly compromised there would have been a huge uproar.
Max

Post by Max »

Well, it has been compromised and i have the proof.
W3AXL
What radios do you own?: an unhealthy amount of them

Post by W3AXL »

ADP is easy enough to crack due to the fact that the end of every P25 transmission contains known silence packets. There was a paper I read somewhere that detailed one group's efforts to crack ADP keys using captured P25 frames and it took them only a couple of days at most.

Here's the info on the paper, but for whatever reason it's restricted to paid access only. I definitely remember reading a free PDF of this paper somewhere. Oh well.
https://publications.csiro.au/rpr/pub?pid=nicta:5076

EDIT: Here's another similar presentation on the subject.
http://2011.ruxcon.org.au/assets/Presen ... slides.pdf

Bottom line is that ADP isn't very secure at all. I'm not too familiar with the TRBO encryption side of things, but there's a good chance a similar weakness exists in that department as well.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Those papers are 6 years old and only deal in hypotheticals, which is a whole other ballgame than openly compromised and decryptable in real time as OP claims.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Max wrote:Well, it has been compromised and i have the proof.
Based on your posts in the trbo forums I'm gonna submit your credibility is suspect at best. Post the proof or stop talking about
Max

Post by Max »

removed

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”