MT2000 Tx issues & possible alignment?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

laythrom
New User

MT2000 Tx issues & possible alignment?

Post by laythrom »

Okay, please bear with me an be gentle, I’m still learning. I’ve been through several pages in several corners of the web and I’m still at a bit of a loss.

Basically, over a year ago I got my hands on a MT2000; it worked fine for a while and after picking up a XTS3000, I decided to keep it as a backup. I’ve since decided to hand it down to someone else and I’m having some serious Tx issues to the repeater ( you can hear it here: https://youtu.be/u4b1RVdQsLs)

I’ve hooked it up to a Aeroflex 3920B and I’m getting +36 dbm, I’ve verified the rx & tx frequencies, dpl codes, I’m on narrowband and I’ve tried swapping antennas.

I’m starting to run out of ideas and I’m figuring that it needs a full alignment (who knows when it’s been done last). But here is my delema...I have access to a 3920B as well as an older 1200 Super S; can I use one to align the radio? (the service manual keeps referring to a /\/\ service monitor and its use)

And finally the most painful bit...is there someone who may be interested in guiding me (or giving me some tips) on how to do an alignment? Sorry, I do kind of know what I’m asking, but I figured that I’d try anyway. I am more interested in learning how to do this stuff instead of just trying to get someone else to do it for me. I did find out that we have a former Motorola tech at work, however, apparently his knowledge predates the synthesized tech.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.
motorola_otaku

Re: MT2000 Tx issues & possible alignment?

Post by motorola_otaku »

All Jedi radios need an external audio tone generator to do full TX deviation alignment. Doing it "by the book" you would use a factory programming cable connected to a RTX4005B to break out the audio lines, but the Jedi connector pinout is posted in plenty of places so you could roll your own.

Full alignment instructions are in the RSS User's Manual, which was probably never copied to PDF.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”