NTN1177 charger

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wireman
New User

NTN1177 charger

Post by Wireman »

Hello all, brand new here. I have some old MTX9000 radios I’m trying to resuscitate from storage. To minimize my investment (in case they are junk)I have purchased inexpensive (cheap) batteries. They are 1200Ah Ni-CD and 1300Ah Ni-MH. When I attempted to charge in a NTN1177C charger they flash red. I later tried them in a NTN1177A charger but that one apparently has a faulty power supply. (With power applied red yellow and green blink on the first bay). I then cycled the batteries in a TDN9430A conditioner. They all tested good in this device. They also seem to charge in a NTN1171A single charger. The NTN1177C will go solid red and turn green with my junk (22MAh) batteries. Are the cheap Chinese batteries incompatible with the NTN1177C? Should I look for a replacement on eBay? Is the NTN1177A worth trying to fix? I realize this is all pretty old stuff and probably not very valuable but it used to work quite well. Anyway sorry for being so long winded, any help or advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Wireman
Flucero28
What radios do you own?: XTS500,XTS3000,MT2000,Asaber

Re: NTN1177 charger

Post by Flucero28 »

I was having trouble with some older chargers for my Jedi batteries also. I started acquiring more and more XTS radios and IMPRES single bay chargers. They work great with my Jedi batteries also. Even the generic ones. The IMPRES chargers can be had for reasonable prices on everyone’s favorite auction site. Just my .02.
Jason

Post by Jason »

A-C versions are not worth the trouble. They are super old at this point, with power supply issues galore. I was buying new 1177D's in 2003 or so, before IMPRES was a thing. A's would be 25 years old.

You should be able to find D versions (most current before they were cancelled) super cheap now. $20-50 each in great shape.
Jason

IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Just a word of warning on the 1177 chargers, the older ones at least use Astec Power supplies which I've seen problems reported with on Batlabs and I had one go up in smoke as well so if you're going to use them keep a watch on them while charging.
Chinese batteries ? Also a cautionary word, I had two that shorted after charging and partially melted. It appears the contacts to radio were not properly insulated on the back sides and the little pressure on them while attaching to the radio caused the shorts.
Wireman
New User

Post by Wireman »

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the delay in response, been preoccupied with other issues. Thanks again.

Wireman

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”