CDM1250 Power Pin Short

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wwhalen
New User

CDM1250 Power Pin Short

Post by wwhalen »

I have seen 2 CDM1250 Dash mount develop a short on the input power. One radio was in a fire truck and the other was sitting on a desk with a power supply providing a radio Reference broadcast. This radio never transmitted. The transmitter leads are shorted as measured with a meter. The radio will not light up and the power supply was hot. Any thoughts?
jackhackett

Re: CDM1250 Power Pin Short

Post by jackhackett »

A dead short on the power connector is usually caused by a shorted protection diode. There is what is basically a large zener diode across the power connections, if voltage is hooked up backwards or exceeds the diode's rating it can cause the diode to fail as a dead short. This is to provide some protection to the rest of the radio in the case of problems with the power source.

Some causes for this can be:
Someone accidentally connecting the radio backwards
Someone hooking up jump start cables to a vehicle backwards
A power supply failure causing over-voltage on the radio
A voltage surge

It's also possible that either the transmit output transistor or the audio power amplifier may have shorted, although these *usually* fail open circuit. Incorrect external speaker wiring or a bad antenna system would be possible causes here.

What type of power supply was the desk radio running on? Can you check the output voltage?
wwhalen
New User

Post by wwhalen »

Thanks, I will check the diode and/ or cut it out.
The power supply is a standard linear supply putting out 13.5 vdc. Normally the supply runs cool to the touch but it was hot when the radio was shorted. I put a meter on the supply with the radio connected and it dropped to 5 volts. I may have a bigger fuse than the supply rating.

Thank you again, Bill
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

1. Power supply not capable of supporting transmit current drain;
2. Radio trying to send an emergency alarm because the trigger jumper is missing?
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Are you sure you're getting a dead short on the radio? I usually measure with a DMM set on diode test mode, and measure with the leads connected both ways. A radio with a good diode will show something like a half volt drop in one direction, and a high or open reading in the other direction. It may take several seconds for the meter to settle as filter caps charge. A radio with a shorted diode will show close to zero volts on a diode tester in both directions.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”