DTR650 - radio covered in white residue - why?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

DTR650 - radio covered in white residue - why?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I dug out my DTR650's the other day and the outer rim of the body (basically the entire top, bottom and sides) was covered in white residue!! It looked like it had been painted white!! I've seen this on Motorola antennas...but it was many times worse on the DTR650's...much thicker residue .

Any idea what causes the white residue...does the radio rim material react with something else that was in the storage box or does it happen naturally? It comes off when you rub real hard with a damp cloth but I think I'm taking a layer off..I feel I should be adding something back...I tried some WD40 which provides a waxy finish but I think it is no better than using water.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Re: DTR650 - radio covered in white residue - why?

Post by abbylind »

I bought one that looked that way too. Thought a painter used it. Bought a new plastic housing, looks great. If you go that route dont forget to order a new display cover, it doesnt come with the housing
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Standard on certain Motorola rubber items. I see it on knobs and other rubberized items that have been in storage.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I used a damp cloth and rubbed real hard and eventually the white residue started to come off...I got a black residue on the cloth which I guess was the top layer of the rubber. I think the black rubber residue left on the cloth provided a bit of abrasion which helped get more of the white residue off. I also used an very firm old toothbrush to get inside the corners etc. I read that others have used Pledge but I think I would have ended up with a polished white case :)...but it might have worked. I wondered whether contact cleaner might have worked but that might have dissolved the rubber. Anyway, rubbing real hard with a damp cloth has sort of worked.
bstafford
New User

Post by bstafford »

I've noticed the whitening of the rubber for sometime now. I read somewhere a while ago that said it could be the result of the chemicals in the plastic basically outgassing and evaporating, leaving the plastic dry and brittle. I don't really have anything to add to the removal discussion, but I have wondered whether something like armor-all would help prevent it from happening, since it basically stops the same thing from happening in tires.

I wouldn't want a greased up radio to use daily, however if something as simple as a wipe down with armor-all before placing a radio in storage would prevent it, then I'd have no problem doing that.

Please note, I have not tried this, so I have no idea about if it would work, it was just a thought. Are there any sciencey-types here that would have any input?
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

It is caused by oxidation. Haven't found a good woy to stop it from happening, yet. It least it's not like the old foam rubber earpieces and headsets that just disintegrated.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”