How to keep you radio faces clean?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ejayerik

How to keep you radio faces clean?

Post by ejayerik »

I use alot of radios in my line of work. And our units get dirty. I usualy use armorall on occasion to keep the faces of the radios looking new. But it wears off in a day or two. What do you guys use to keep them looking clean and new when they have alot of use?
Renamon

Post by Renamon »

I have yet to see somthing that repels dirt and dust at every turn, but I just use 409 or the like to clean my ht's every now and again. I guess you just have to try what works best for your dirt and stuff, different strokes for different folks.
Crimestopper

Post by Crimestopper »

Here is my secret......

First clean your radio of all dust, use a bad tooth brush, and spay some WD40 on it. Wait about forty minutes after cleaning, then spay your armor all. I use this all the time on our rental fleet which we over 500 GP300 Portables, and 120 HT1250 LS, and they still look new. You can always recase, which we also do if the housing does not look up to par.

Be Well
Steve
Crimestopper
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

How to clean HT's etc.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I recently got a used Saber III case to put on my 8K Saber II that I had forced into III mode. The "new" case is about an 8 and works fine, but the keys all looked bad. I thought at first that they were worn down but I was wrong; they were DIRTY. I used 409 sparingly, and a cotton swab. It took a while but all of the keys now look like new and the scuff marks on the case, which I can not do anything about, don't seem to be nearly as noticeable for some reason.

Tom in D.C.
W2NJS
ricciticcitembo

Re: How to clean HT's etc.

Post by ricciticcitembo »

Tom- Good to hear you finally found a III case. It took a while.
I gotta start looking a little harder....

I also clean off the dust with a toothbrush or a Flux brush first
before I go for the 409 and Q-Tips for cleaning and either
WD-40 or ArmorAll or even Silicone for bringing back the Factory
Shine. The WD-40 I think is the Slickest, but Spray it on a cloth, and
NOT directly on the radio.
kc8svs
No Longer Registered

Post by kc8svs »

When I clean HT90's/440's etc, I take the entire chassis out of the radio case and use rubbing alcohol with Q tips.

When I used my newer radios, I use orange clean or a litle alcohol with q tips or a rag.

Just be careful where you put that stuff. :D
M.A. Baker

Wrecker Diver
Nextel, how business gets fu*ked up!
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

Yes, be careful using WD-40 on any radio. WD-40 is a lubricant, and will leave an oily residue behind, when it "dries". If this penetrates any VCO, or similar oscillating type circuit, it can cause all kinds of harmonics problems. I use 409, diluted with just a bit of water. You won't get the shine back, but it will look clean.
Woody_99
Batboard $upporter

re: Giddy-up 409

Post by Woody_99 »

Amen to 409! Great for cleaning radios AND killing flying insects.
Too bad it won't work like Windex on zits and mosquito bites.... :lol:
•·•·•

Woody

---Please use the EMAIL button, not PM, tnx!---
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

WD-40??? Now, that I have never ever used in my life on a radio, I will see if it works hehe,

I basicially just use alcohol, rag, and those air cannister. or if you had a spectra or something ike that, and dont like finger prints on the surface metal, you can use these stuff made for guns, Sheath, by Birchwood casey I think, protects, ,and rust preventive and no finger prints or antyhing hehe
Julian

Post by Julian »

Another good idea for Spectra mobiles and the like, in the past i've used clear nail polish on the buttons. It keeps the buttons and the numbering from wearing down so quickly. I'll have to try the WD-40 idea.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I...-

"Yesstirdaye I cuddn't spell teknishion, and now I is won!"

"800MHZ sucks range is a joke
UHF has range but VHF has more". - the greatest technician of all time, Astro_Saber.
wa2zdy

Re: re: Giddy-up 409

Post by wa2zdy »

Woody_99 wrote:Amen to 409! Great for cleaning radios AND killing flying insects.
Too bad it won't work like Windex on zits and mosquito bites.... :lol:
Ahhhhh so NOW I know why my face is such a mess. I didn't know about Formula 409 as a kid. The only 409 I knew about then was the Beach Boys.

Where was this thread 30 years ago?!!!!!

Later
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
Woody_99
Batboard $upporter

re: 409, my 409....

Post by Woody_99 »

LOL! Didn't know about windex either until that big fat greek wedding movie...
409 will kill wasps/bees and clean radios rather well, though!
:)
•·•·•

Woody

---Please use the EMAIL button, not PM, tnx!---
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i like to use Simple green. in differnt amount of dilution depending on the mess. also i like it does to the fact that is is envromentally sound and not that harch. followed up my a armor all and i some times used windex
Al

Post by Al »

I like to clean with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol, then finish up with Tannery automotive vinyl cleaner and light wax. The Tannery seems to be similar to Armorall but leaves a light leather smell that people seem to find pleasing(only lasts for a couple of days).
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

lol, ok, now THAT is a good idea for the spectra there, never thought of using those clear nail polish, I think I will ask my mom for those from her shop, Thanks for that Idea, never thought of that
OX

Post by OX »

Glad to see that other people use giddy-up 409.

I use the orange stuff on radios that I buy, then go over them with a toothbrush and then 409. I like the nail polish trick!

I can't tell you how many radios I've come accross where the backlight on the keypad was extremely dim. (mostly Spectra's) I just took the face apart and cleaned the dirt from around the PCB and LED's, removed the buttons and ran them through a good washing in the sink.

Something else that works as good as orange without the orange smell is Tide or laundry detergent. I use that stuff to wash the car as it leaves a residue on the car which acts like a wax by semi-repelling water and when it rains the car still looks clean.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

I've actually taken apart maxtracs, gm300s and spectras that I was refurbing/cleaning up, and dumped them in a bucket of soap and water. Removing the RF board and logic board, etc of course. It works out well to get the really caked on dirt off. So don't be afraid to give your radio a bath. After that, a little armor all or tire wet, and you are in good shape.

Jay
AngelFire_91

Post by AngelFire_91 »

I also clean using 409 and a tooth brush. for the really easy stuff to get to. If it's a little harder I'll take the Electronics out and give it a bath in Dish soap and water totally soak it and let it sit in there for a little then brush it and wipe then dry it off, use some 409 and Q-Tips and Tooth Picks to get into the cracks and after all is done making sure it's dry put it back together and I finish most things off with a very light coat of Minerial Oil and wiping to remove excess. It works great and it really brings out the shine and If you do it right there will be no oily feel or places for dirt to stick to. The Finger nail polish is a great idea also, I use that on the Spectra buttons and other like it, it works great as a barier. It also works great for protecting electronics, NOT THE SENSITIVE ONES just for protecting the underside of a solder board and such.
Kevin
Crimestopper

One more idea....

Post by Crimestopper »

Here is one more trade secret, and I'm sure Tom in DC might want to try. I use a scratch remover called Displex, on my plastic lens for my HT1250's, HT1550's, and my rental fleet of Nextel's. It works like a charm, and it is pretty cheap. JUST MAKE SURE YOU TEST A SMALL SPOT FOR COMPATIBILITY........, otherwise your clear lens will wind up blurry. I have only used it on a limited amount of equipment but it works pretty well. One more note, I always have rental radios come back with stickers from the vendors or other dealer, which could be a pain to peel off. However, if you use the right type of goo off you will save your cleaning time in half. Another word of caution, some of the goo off production WILL DISCOLOR your radio, so make sure you use the right one. I hope this helps others save money instead of looking for a new housing.

Be Well
Steve
Crimestopper
NodrogCop
Batboard $upporter

Post by NodrogCop »

One more note, I always have rental radios come back with stickers from the vendors or other dealer, which could be a pain to peel off. However, if you use the right type of goo off you will save your cleaning time in half.
WD40 works very well as an adhesive remover and, obviously, won't discolor the radio. As others have mentioned clean off the excess or it will be one slippery radio.

Gordon

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”