VHF High Band Equipment Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dereckpristas

VHF High Band Equipment Question

Post by dereckpristas »

Can you have a single repeater and have it where you can have say the PD and the EMS talk on seperate channels at the same time? Or is this an 800mHz only type thing. What kind of equipment is needed? Thanks!

Dereck
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Well, you can get a repeater that scans but that really won't work very well. You can setup multiple PL's so they don't hear eachother. But no matter what, they can't both be having conversations at the same time. That would require a trunking system. It has nothing to do with 800mhz. You can have trunking on UHF or VHF if you so desire.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
dereckpristas

Well in that case

Post by dereckpristas »

I need to know what are some model #'s and brands of VHF Trucking repeater systems. Thanks!

Dereck
w7com
What radios do you own?: MCS2000, HT1000, Pageboy II

Post by w7com »

Most truckers use 27MHz and run simplex.
-Joe@nethead.com, Tulalip, WA
I have a private email server in my basement.
Nand

Post by Nand »

If it is only two channels you need, you likely should just use two repeaters.

Trunking only pays off when you have many different groups share several repeaters. It is done under computer control and is called trunking.

Perhaps you should make it known here what you really like to accomplish. There are lots of people here that can give you excellent recommendations for similar situations.

Nand.
w7com

Post by w7com »

Yeah, sorry about the CB joke.

I doubt that you would be able to get EMS and PD on the same license on VHF. IIRC they are in different services (PF and PD?)

More information on exactly what you are trying to do would be helpful.
Nand

Post by Nand »

No, it was a good joke.

Search for “trunking” in Google and you will never make that mistake again.

Nand.
dereckpristas

Hey All

Post by dereckpristas »

Well, here's what we're trying to do. The PD has a very OLD Type II system and we have a VHF Lo system. We are wanting to both get newer systems, but the same. We need to operate on the same system, yet seperate channels and be able to talk simultaneously (or however you spell that). So...that's what we're going for...anymore questions just email me. Thanks!

Dereck
RKG

Post by RKG »

1. You can put PD and EMS on the same VHF channel by treating each as "Local Government."

2. Trunking on VHF (or UHF for that matter) isn't practical where all the available channels already have co-channel users. As a practical matter, voice channels assigned to a trunked system have to be essentially "clear channels." That is why, outside of the military, trunked systems are on 800 (and soon to be, 700) mHz.

3. Nand is, as usual, correct: the rule of thumb for a trunking system to make sense is that you would license 5 frequencies (one control channel and four voice channels) and you would have not fewer than 10 working talkgroups. For only two talkgroups, you would need three channels (one control and two voice), and (apart from the fact that a three-channel trunked system would not be approved), you would be tying up three channels in order to work two agencies, which inverts the concept of spectrum conservation that trunking is all about.
tom IL

Post by tom IL »

If I understand your statements correctly there is no reason you can’t use two repeaters, as long as they are both vhf high (if that’s the band you want to use).
w7com

Post by w7com »

What type of trunking system does the PD have? How many talk groups, channels, units? What is "old" about it? Is there a reason you wouldn't want to upgrade it and have fire join them?
dereckpristas

well...

Post by dereckpristas »

Their system is an old Type II that is approximately 7-10 years old... Now don't quote me on that because I'm not exactly sure on that. All I know is it looks old, gets repaired a lot, and needs to be upgraded/replaced. We wouldn't have just PD/EMS on the system. There would be a need for approximately 15 talkgroups and 2 simplex channels. Other than that, that's about all the info I've got. PM me with questions, or post.

Dereck

Thanks for everyone's help. Can someone tell me what my options are with a VHF trunking system (makes and models). I just want to do some research. Thanks!
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

New, improved,systems...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Dereck,

You should probably forget VHF trunking. While possible in theory, getting assigned six or eight or ten channels on VHF for your exclusive use in your town is nearly impossible. On UHF the trunking systems are usually cobbled together by using a PD's existing ten or twelve 460 or 453 mHz channels, like was done recently in DC. But up on 800 there's more spectrum, 45 mHz offsets, and the technology to control areas of coverage better
(assuming the seller and/or engineer of the system does the
necessary work!).

And, the FCC service IDs have all been upgraded. Nowadays you will find most of the stuff listed as PW for fire, EMS, etc. I can't remember if it includes PD but it may. Take a look at FCC or Perconcorp's site to find out.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
CuriousGeorge

Re: New, improved,systems...

Post by CuriousGeorge »

Tom in D.C. wrote:And, the FCC service IDs have all been upgraded. Nowadays you will find most of the stuff listed as PW for fire, EMS, etc. I can't remember if it includes PD but it may. Take a look at FCC or Perconcorp's site to find out.
Yes -- all public safety (conventional) is PW now. (Different service code for trunked systems but still shared by all public safety users.)

You still have to deal with the old PO, PF, PH, etc. coordinators for their respective frequencies but almost all the channels are officially available for any public safety agency to use and even the ones that aren't are available for use by others if the coordinators and FCC say so.

Don't want to count our chickens before they hatch but we've been working on a license since January and (knock on wood) will have it finish with the coordination process this month. And not for a lack of work on the coordinators part either. A single channel VHF repeater using one PH frequency and one PO frequency, for EMS (formerly "PM") purposes. Too many co-channel and adjacent channel users around here.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Dereck... Is this for something at home or on the campus? I'm a little lost on what the college PD and EMS would need 15 talkgroups for.... :-?
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”