ht750 Good or Bad radios ?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

stangmansvo

ht750 Good or Bad radios ?

Post by stangmansvo »

Hello all !!
the local VFD is looking for motorola 4-6ch portable radios and some type of vehicle charger (with antenna connection) and wanted to explore the options !

Question is : Is this radio worth the money? and did motorola make any type of MVA unit for this radio?

Thanks
steve wendling
:o
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

If your getting the 750 you obviously are not needing displays and other fancy hokey features. I seriously go for the HT1000 over the HT750.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Nand

Post by Nand »

The AAEN1006B is the VHF only vehicular adapter with a built in tri-chemistry charger and included external microphone and antenna connection for the Pro series radios. But since the HT750 does not have a special external antenna connection the rubber duck needs to be removed every time it is used in the adapter.

The HT1000 clearly is the better choice here as nmfire10 pointed out. The HT1000 is a more rugged and at this time a more reliable radio as well. And you can get a proper vehicular adapter for it.

Personally, I can’t see why you would want to use these instead of a properly mounted mobile radio.

Nand.
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

I personnaly like the HT750's for performance, but like was said above, not a good unit to setup in the vehicle if you want a antenna connection and like Nand said, why aren't you going for a mobile radio, more power, range, etc. in the vehicle.
RKG

Post by RKG »

Strongly concur with Matt and Nand: go HT1000.
stangmansvo

HT750

Post by stangmansvo »

Thanks guys for your expert imput but the local VFD wants what they want !! I personally agree about the ht1000 and associated mva. They want 4-6ch only but I will try to give them to go with a 16ch portable. I know within 6 months they will want move channels. Trust me :o

Anyone have a good deal on four HT1000s with mva units ?????
steve
Nand

Post by Nand »

The MVA units likely cost as much as a mobile.
The only way to tell the channel they are on is from the channel knob.
Do they really want to fight with the portable trying to take it out the MVA once they get at the fire scene? Or do they leave them in the vehicle?
If they get the unit with the external amp, there will be lots of messy extra wiring hanging around.
You likely also need an extra external speaker.
And it becomes a real service head acke. A mobile is a lot simpler to replace if needed.

Nuts!

Nand.
No Longer Registered

Post by 70351 »

I also realize people want what they want, but I'd also have to agree that running a mobile AND a portable is always a more efficient way to go. I have several HT1000's/MT2000's, both VHF & UHF, and I use an MTVA in my car only because I can operate either band (depending on the radio used) in the MTVA. I use mine strictly for amateur radio use, and I use a dual band amplifier along with a dual band antenna. Although my set up works very well, I would highly recommend using a mobile along with a portable for public safety work. After you have to keep plopping your radio in and out of an MTVA it will get old real fast, not to mention MTVA failures because some people abuse them.

I recall when the MT500 was Motorola's finest achievement, mine was one a the few that didn't have problems with the convertacom unit because I understood how it worked. It seems most of the guys felt that slamming the portable into the convertacom resulted in better "contact" when all it really did was was cause premature failures. Then there were those who liked to use their convertacoms to store their lunch or soda bottles in. Over the years I've found paper clips, pens, pencils, food or whatever inside those things. I even found the remains of a friggen sandwich in there once. Thank goodness the current MTVA's aren't totally enclosed around the radio the way the MT500 convertacom was.

I guess the real issue is that people rarely treat MTVA's the way their intended, nor do they maintain them properly. Avoiding them completely is the way to go (unless it's belongs to YOU and you know how to properly use them).

Man, I feel better . . .

Randy
I Never asked, tried to sell, or even so much as hinted about RSS. The moderators decided to "tag" me for no reason. This is what happens when you ask for help on the board. Your name gets smeared for something you didn't do.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”