GFCI outlets and RF

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tom IL

GFCI outlets and RF

Post by tom IL »

There is a GFCI outlet on my bathroom wall that is directly behind my desk and I have discovered that is it popping any time I key up my portable with in about 5 or 6 feet. Also if I get with in about 6 in. of it with my cell phone it pops. Is this normal or is something wrong with the outlet???
hooknladder

Post by hooknladder »

This is a normal response of these outlets with rf. I have never had mine pop with my cell phone. Is it when you are talking on it or anytime? All my problems seem to be on UHF, as it has never tripped with VHF. What band is your portable on?
"It costs HOW much?" "Must be a /\/\ Original" Motofabulous
tom IL

Post by tom IL »

It only does it with the phone when it is fairly close and I have it keyed up.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

tom IL wrote:It only does it with the phone when it is fairly close and I have it keyed up.
if you put the phone near a VHF hi minitor pager, it will trip the alert tones too.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Susan157

trade the outlet.

Post by Susan157 »

:wink:

Who is the manufactor of this outlet?

It is not common to trip.
did you try to change it.

Most outlets trip with an unbalance of
5 ma.ac current on any of the three
legs.

I would try another outlet.
ALF 935

Post by ALF 935 »

The lo-band radio in a fire rig will trip the GFCI's for generator current. When inside the station and on the TDMA phone, it will cancel the call when tx'ing. Not gonna worry about it, 6 more months and we go APCO 25.
Jimmy
"well, well, well, A drunk driver doesn't go out and drive once drunk now do they?"

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”