HT1000 (GP900) intrinsically safe vs standard battery

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

HT1000 (GP900) intrinsically safe vs standard battery

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Can you use a standard 7.5v battery on an intrinsically safe GP900 (European version of HT1000) if you only want to monitor and no TX.

The radio is being used in a NONE intrinsically safe environment.

I am aware that intrinsically safe batteries are current limited and only supply around 6v on RX and the TX supply is from the other contact.

Basically , is it OK to run an intrinsically safe radio on RX from 7.5v rather than 6v?

Thanks

Martin
larryepage

Post by larryepage »

I do not believe that any harm will come to your radio from operating it with a non-is battery. You may want to double check your output power just to make sure.

The one problem you may have is that your low battery warning will not trigger at the correct voltage level. meaning that you will discharge your battery more than you intend.

In the long run, this will shorten your battery life, and you will probably end up spending more on batteries than if you had bought an IS battery...

Good luck!
Larry Page
W5LEP
FCC GROL
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks Larry

Radio came with an intrinsically safe battery which is only about "50%" good. Also acquired a "100%" good standard battery at same time NOT realising that there was any difference - nor did the seller!!

Thanks to Batlabs , established that you CANNOT transmit with a standard battery as the TX is fed from the "third" pin - on standard radios/batteries, the "third" pin is blanked off/not connected !

Also , if you use an IS battery on a standard radio , the TX supply is taken from the current limited RX side so you get very little TX output !!

I just wanted to make sure that on receive , running an IS radio at 7.5v rather than 6v is OK . As per above , I will not be able to TX on this battery.

Martin
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

question of the day is now....how much damage will be done to the radios internal power circutry running it constantly over-voltage?
JOHN 1807
Batboard $upporter

Post by JOHN 1807 »

g8tzl2004 wrote:Thanks Larry

Radio came with an intrinsically safe battery which is only about "50%" good. Also acquired a "100%" good standard battery at same time NOT realising that there was any difference - nor did the seller!!

Thanks to Batlabs , established that you CANNOT transmit with a standard battery as the TX is fed from the "third" pin - on standard radios/batteries, the "third" pin is blanked off/not connected !

Also , if you use an IS battery on a standard radio , the TX supply is taken from the current limited RX side so you get very little TX output !!

I just wanted to make sure that on receive , running an IS radio at 7.5v rather than 6v is OK . As per above , I will not be able to TX on this battery.

Martin

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I've used a non-IS battery on my MTS that is IS rated. I'm fairly sure I've used it to transmit without a problem--------- I gotta try one at work tomorrow, thats going to drive me nuts now until I try it.

-J
Al

Post by Al »

I've used both non-IS and IS batteries on IS HT1000s with no noticeable difference in either receive or tx power output here in the US.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Maybe the IS standards are different between the UK and USA?

My IS GP900, which I understand is the European equivalent to the HT1000 (looks identical) , does not TX using NON IS batteries. It only receives but voltage should be 6.2v not 7.5v . There are 3 contacts on GP900 batteries - IS radio's use all 3 contacts (seperate TX and RX +ve supply) . NON IS radio's have a "blank" third battery contact.

Check out the main Batlabs site under GP900 - there is a very useful section on IS radios and battery requirements.

Martin
windi
New User

Re: HT1000 (GP900) intrinsically safe vs standard battery

Post by windi »

GP900 Non IS battery has 3 contact , get 1 string wire and solder the positive to blank contact then you will get TX .
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re:

Post by RadioSouth »

Al wrote:I've used both non-IS and IS batteries on IS HT1000s with no noticeable difference in either receive or tx power output here in the US.
Same here, every Jedi battery I've had has been either 7.2 or 7.5v. I've has FM approved green dot and yellow dot versions and none were 6 volts.
Guess our friends accross the pond have a very different type of FM approval.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”