Cross Band repeater Deviation

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JD

Cross Band repeater Deviation

Post by JD »

What problems if any , if we cross band a 25 KHz simplex VHF frequency to a 12.5 Khz simplex VHF frequency. Going through a frequency coordinator, doing it right. Is this allowable ?

Thanks.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

well, you're not really cross-banding it...since both sources are simplex VHF style frequencies. As long as you have the co-ordination and the proper radios on the proper frequencies, you can do it.
Will

Post by Will »

J D is going to need a REPEATER license.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

thebigphish wrote:As long as you have the co-ordination and the proper radios on the proper frequencies, you can do it.
i probably should have been more specific.
RKG

Post by RKG »

If the intended question was: can you have a repeater where the input frequency uses +/- 5 KHz deviation and the output freq uses +/- 2.5 KHz deviation (or vice versa), the theoretical answer is yes, since the audio is recovered as audio by the receiver and sent as audio to the transmitter. However, I've heard second-hand that doing this is problematic, for reasons I don't fully comprehend.
Will

Post by Will »

RKG says ", I've heard second-hand that doing this is problematic, for reasons I don't fully comprehend."

Problematic Yes, that is what the so-called frequency coordinators are doing. They even put "narrow' on the same freq and aera as an existing 'wide' system.
Then everyone bitchices and complaines....

So, hardware/radio equipment wise it can be done. narrow in, wide out or visa versa.....
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

I think someone is completely lost here

I think we are confusing channel spacing with deviation

Why on earth would you want one deviation on one repeater freq, and a different deviation on the other?

You couldn't utilize the same equipment for simplex talkaround, because the receiver would maybe be different deviation that the TX

Sounds like a mess, to me
JD

Repeater

Post by JD »

Let me clarify things:
1.) Yes we will apply for a frequency/bidirectional repeater on VHF.

2.) Due to funding constraints, the customer has a license currently on VHF, 25 KHZ. They can not replace or reprogram their current equipment for narrow band at this time.

3.) The user wants to use their Kenwood portables via a repeater link in their SUV's to be able to communicate with their office on their current license. Again, they can not reprogram current equipment to a new frequency, only their portables, which can do narrow band.

4.) We are trying to obtain through a valid Freq. Coor., a VHF frequency with only 2 watts of output to repeat through the mobils.
Will

Post by Will »

JD writes: "via a repeater link in their SUV's ".

Ok this is what some call a Extender or vehicular repeater.
And a low power mobile only frequency for the input to the "SUV"'

Some info here: (this is NOT the only way!!)

http://www.c-cor.org/echocomm/Extmdl.htm

Also look at the Pyrimid unit.
jim

maratrac head

Post by jim »

Will

Will, do you still service Maratracs?

I have an A7 head with no backlighting. Our spare head works on the radio. We don't have a Svc manual for these !

jim

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”