Recommend a Scanner!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Recommend a Scanner!

Post by kb0nly »

I got asked this question today, and i didn't know off hand which models to suggest..

Question "I need a new mobile scanner, 100 channels at least but the more the merrier, mainly analog VHF and UHF but would also like it to be digital capable for future use if the price is right"

Ok, i can suggest plenty of scanners for VHF and UHF analog, and make suggestions as to ones that digital capable, but then he also wants this...

"alpha channel names and PL on receive is a must"

Did a bit of catalog browsing and net searching but i would like to hear everyones opinion on this.

Mainly the important features are:

Mobile mountable, not overly large in size.
100 user programmable channels or more.
Alpha channel names that are user programmable.
PL or CSQ receive, would also be nice if it had DPL as well.
Digital capable is not necessary but would be nice.

If you also would like to suggest a larger base unit do so, i have been thinking about a different scanner for myself in the house.

Try to keep the price low, hes not looking to spend $400 on a scanner, $200-$300 mark would be a stretch but reasonable to him.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I'm starting to lean towards a RadioShack Pro-2055, does Alpha tags and PL.

Anyone have one of these models?
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

kb0nly wrote:I'm starting to lean towards a RadioShack Pro-2055, does Alpha tags and PL.

Anyone have one of these models?
Yea! Scott! send them to radio-shack. Depends on where they live. ex: If you have a chase & you can see it in front of your house, & they are running to the back of your house.... A portable -- you can take it with you. I hate the desktops. then it has to stay in one place. A Pro-94 will hold 1000ch. so will the desktop 2055.
http://www.radioshack.com/family/index. ... cp=2032052
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Look at the BCD996T, the GPS support is just GREAT. The P25 audio sounds very good on mine. This is the best scanner I have owned, but it does take a bit to get used to. I also have a BCD396, and the programming files will work with each other if you use the Uniden software. The Butel software is better than the Uniden but I still use both. With the Butel software you can go to Radio Reference.com and pick the state, county, and sytem you want in your radio, the Butel software will load it up.

Jim.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

The 996 and 396 look cool, but well out of my price range, and more than this person wants to spend..

I'm seriously considering a Pro-2055 and checking it out, if he doesn't want it i might anyway.

A portable scanner doesn't interest me though, when i'm portable i have my quad band VX-7R to listen to anyway. The VX Commander software makes it easy as pie to put all the local stuff in.

JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I just picked up a BC785D on ebay for around $300 with the P25 card in it. Not a bad scanner. The data recovery is a little slower than other scanners, but it meets all of the requirements you mentioned.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

kb0nly wrote:The 996 and 396 look cool, but well out of my price range, and more than this person wants to spend..

They are a bit much, but I had to throw it out anyway I'm like a teenager in love. Mine has been a lot of fun so far. One place I have found a few good deals on scannes is Craigslist, but you need to know you are buying from the true owner. At least you can see the item, and the seller before you buy, unlike ebay.

Jim.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

kb0nly wrote:The 996 and 396 look cool, but well out of my price range, and more than this person wants to spend..

I'm seriously considering a Pro-2055 and checking it out, if he doesn't want it i might anyway.

A portable scanner doesn't interest me though, when i'm portable i have my quad band VX-7R to listen to anyway. The VX Commander software makes it easy as pie to put all the local stuff in.
portable scanner you can jump in your car with it & pass by the area of intrest... (depending on local scanner mobil laws) for those that don't have a VX-7R or any radio ex: HT1000 with a receive only pd/fd channel in it. Its just me I don't like a desktop. Best scanner I ever bought was a Pro-43-- it has the 220Mhz band. And down in Arizona. We would listen to the bombers & there traffic just east of Yuma. And the Fighters (air to air).
as always rad-shack stopped making them...
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I already got a scanner in the mobile, an oldie but a goodie, Uniden MR8100, about the only thing to listen to around here is analog VHF/UHF so that one works fine for me, nice audio, great sensitivity. About the only thing i wish it had was PL decode. I could fix that with an external tone board if i wanted since just about everything in the county uses the same tone. I probably won't replace that unit just yet, it's just nice having a basic computer programmable scanner in there.

In the house i have a Yaesu FRG-9600 communications receiver, 60-905 Mhz without gaps, AM, SSB, FM-W, FM-N, a great unit. Most of the time i find myself using it for AM or FM broadcast listening, good audio. But lately i have been wanting a scanner in the house with PL and alpha channel names. Considering buying a Pro-2055 if i can sell the 9600.

I bought that receiver for almost $300 a while back, would be nice to get at least $250 out of it and see it sell. I think i'll toss it up here just in case anyone is interested in it.

Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I bought my girlfiends mother a Pro-2055 and have one myself. They are great scanners, but DPL decode can be slow.

Tested DPL to it with my Astro Saber and it was kinda slow, but PL is right quick. The scanner will mute the squelch trail on DPL, but not on PL. I like the idea of the backlighted keys as well.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

I have read a lot on them online, sounds like the earlier production runs had display problems that they corrected later on.

DPL isn't an issue for me, everything around here is PL or CSQ, though i think the MSP uses DPL on their tactical channel. No big deal there though, it's the same frequency statewide with each district using a different code, so i just listen to that CSQ anyway.

Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I actually kinda like the buttons better as well; more of a hard rubbery kind that backlight orange in unicen with the display, the knobs have a nice "Not to loose, not too night" feel, and the audio is great. Doesn't feel light and cheap like it's all empty inside, either. You can tell that there's "Stuff" in there. Next time the '2055 goes on sale, I'll probably get another for the car.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

The Rat Shack website shows it as $199.99 but out of stock, i will have to check the local stores and see if they have any on hand, and at what price.

jhooten

Post by jhooten »

Save yourself some driving around and have the local store do an inventory search. When he finds one you have two options. Have them call the store that has it and have them put a hold on it for you so it will still be there when you go to pick it up. Or have them do a store transfer from that store to the one near you. No shipping and no $3.00 a gallon gas used up driving all over the area looking for one.
jim

Post by jim »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you do a part number search on Schitt-Schack's website to show what local store has it in stock?
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

If you can i can't find it.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy »

On the page with the 2055 on it it says "
Other ways to get it

In store:
Available at most stores, find it near you" Click there it'll pop up and ask for your zip.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Ok, tried that, it says no store near my zip.. Funny, i know of three.

CuriousGeorge

Post by CuriousGeorge »

That was a little confusing to me too until I re-read the text.

That utility doesn't find a store near you. It find stock near you. So, in your case, the three stores you know nearby don't have that item in stock (according to RS's inventory system -- never know what is not in the inventory system).
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

Well i called them today, two of the three stores near me where open on Sunday, the other i will call tomorrow.

Two of them have plenty in stock, though i was told they are currently at $199 as shown on the website for price. The third i will call tomorrow, they are usually a bit cheaper, in a larger city and usually have monthly sales.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”