OT: Motorola R2048D/HS/FASC Service Monitor?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

seleong

OT: Motorola R2048D/HS/FASC Service Monitor?

Post by seleong »

Happy New Year, fellow Bats!

I have an off-topic question, trying to identify a Motorola Service Monitor.

I have it listed as an R2048D/HS/FASC.

Does anyone know what family this model belongs to and what features it has?

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Steve
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

The R2048D/HS/FASC is part of the R2000D series. The added options are high stab oscillator (the HS part of the model number), analog cellular (the #8 in the model) and secure communications (the #4). The FASC suffix means it was fascinator equipped which means that there was no capability to retain the secure comm code that was encoded. Once the monitor was turned off, the code was dumped.
Dave
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

And the KVL is a special version with a Mil-Spec Round Canon type connector on the top of the unit. I'd be surprised if you could acquire one of those. :o
seleong

R2048D Service Monitor

Post by seleong »

Thank you Dave and Dan for the insight into this older service monitor. We had a 'sister division' that had one available to us, and we wanted to find out what capabilities it might have before we had it sent out. Sounds like a decent monitor for basic benchwork, calibration and duplexer tuning!

Thanks again!

Steve
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

Hello Steve,

The /\/\ R2000 Series Service Monitors do not have a built in or optional Tracking Generator for Sweeping Duplexers, otherwise you've got a versital Service Monitor for doing 2-way bench or field service repairs.

Dan
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

guys for the record....

you can SORTA use the unit as a tracking generator - just set the duplex offset to 0.

poor dynamic range, but it works in a pinch

also -

my 2048 had all encryption algos in it - it could do dvp, dvp-xl, des, des-xl and fascinator.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
seleong

R2048 Service Monitor

Post by seleong »

Thanks again for the info - I hope it's in good condition! I think we'll stick to our other service monitors for the duplexers though!

Steve

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”