Motorola P-200 question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mfdeng5

Motorola P-200 question

Post by mfdeng5 »

Hi, guys, just bought a new old stock 2 ch P-200....it is currently a 2 ch radio....how do i make the mod to make it a 6 ch radio? Thanks
Al

Re: Motorola P-200 question

Post by Al »

PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Post by PETNRDX »

Believe it or not, all you have to do is create a new radio file in RSS.
The default is 6 channel.
Dump it in your radio.
Either cut the pin under the channel knob or lift off the escutcheon, turn the "washer" that has the pin to the six position spot, and put back on.
I have done dozens this way.
If you search on HT600 with the author Elroy Jetson you will find a lot of discussion on this.
BTW, I find that taking the knobs off, warming the top of the radio (like near a desk lamp for a minute or two) loosens the "sticky back tape" holding the escutcheon.
You can then carefully pry up the plastic of the escutcheon with something pointy (I use a LARGE safety pin like used on diapers) sliding it under and pushing it around to lift it without ruining it.
Then I just turn the "washer" to the right position, and put the escutcheon back on with just the old sticky stuff.
Like I said, I have done several dozen this way.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

That doesn't always work.

The LATER production HT600 controllers were always 6 channel from the factory. But earlier production
controllers were in fact factory locked to either 2 or 6 channel operation. If you have an earlier example that
is set up for 2 channels only, reprogramming it as a 6 channel model with the regular RSS will NOT change that.
What'll happen is your first two channels will repeat. Rather than get channels 1, 2,3,4,5,6, you'll get channels

This can be corrected with either 2to6.exe or the old version 1.0 of the P100 software. With the P100 v. 1.0
software, which is a hex editor, read the radio, change the last group of digits to FF00, and write it back to the radio.
This converts it to 6 channel capability.

Or at least that's how I remember it. I haven't done it in a number of years.

Elroy

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”