Moto News: Zander to be replaced by Greg Brown as M CEO

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

alex
Administrator

Moto News: Zander to be replaced by Greg Brown as M CEO

Post by alex »

From Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/) this AM:
Motorola announced today that Ed Zander will be relinquishing the role of Chief Executive Officer in January 2008, a title he will have held for four years. Greg Brown, current President and Chief Operating Officer, will take over as CEO, while Zander will remain Chairman of the Board of Directors until at least May of next year. Zander, who came to Moto from Sun Microsystems, will perhaps best be remembered for overseeing the company during its RAZR-led handset revival.
Article:
SCHAUMBURG, Ill., Nov 30, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- MOT | charts | news | PowerRating -- Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT | charts | news | PowerRating) today announced that its Board of Directors has elected Greg Brown, 47, as Chief Executive Officer of Motorola, effective January 1, 2008. Mr. Brown currently serves as President and Chief Operating Officer. Mr. Brown will succeed Edward J. Zander as CEO, and Mr. Zander, 60, will continue to serve as Chairman of the Board of Directors until the annual meeting of stockholders in May 2008.

On behalf of Motorola's Board of Directors, Samuel C. Scott III, lead director, said, "I want to take this opportunity to thank Ed for his vision, expertise and tireless commitment to Motorola. We greatly appreciate his many contributions and wish him all the best in the years ahead. Today's decision is the culmination of a thoughtful and disciplined process of succession planning."

Scott added, "The Board is delighted that Greg will serve as CEO. We are confident that he will bring a combination of strategic insight, operational discipline, and inspirational leadership needed for accelerated and sustained growth."

"We are exceedingly fortunate to have a leader of Greg's caliber, vision and experience. He has been an invaluable partner and I am confident he is the right person to be the next CEO of Motorola and lead the Company through its multi-year transformation," said Zander. "Next year marks my 40th year in the technology industry. This is the right time for me to move on to the next phase in my life and spend more time with my family. I am grateful I had the opportunity to lead Motorola over the last four years. It's been a wonderful experience."

"I am privileged to become the CEO of Motorola," said Greg Brown. "This is a unique Company with strong technology, people and customers. I welcome this opportunity to lead Motorola successfully into the future. We have a lot to do and I am intensely focused on building shareholder value. I look forward to working closely with Ed to ensure a smooth transition."

Greg Brown Background

Since March 2007, Mr. Brown has served as President and Chief Operating Officer of Motorola and was elected to the Company's Board of Directors earlier this year.

Prior to his role as President and COO, Mr. Brown headed four different businesses at Motorola. He also led the $3.9 billion acquisition of Symbol Technologies, the second largest transaction in Motorola's history and an important strategic move to strengthen Motorola's enterprise offering. Additionally, Mr. Brown returned the automotive business to profitability, while also leading the divestiture of that business which was sold to Continental for $1.0 billion. He also led the government and public safety business for four years, substantially growing earnings over that time. Mr. Brown joined Motorola in 2003.

Prior to joining Motorola, Mr. Brown was chairman and CEO of Micromuse Inc., a network management software company. Before that, he was President of Ameritech Custom Business Services and Ameritech New Media Inc. Before joining Ameritech in 1987, Mr. Brown held a variety of sales and marketing positions with AT&T for five years, resulting in 25 years of high-tech experience.

An active member of the civic and business communities, he was appointed by the White House to serve on President Bush's National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee (NSTAC) in May 2004. Mr. Brown is also a member of the board of directors for United Way, World Business Chicago, and the U.S.-China Business Council.

Mr. Brown received his bachelor's degree in economics from Rutgers University and is a member of the Rutgers board of overseers.

About Motorola

Motorola is known around the world for innovation and leadership in wireless and broadband communications. Inspired by our vision of seamless mobility, the people of Motorola are committed to helping you connect simply and seamlessly to the people, information and entertainment that you want and need. We do this by designing and delivering "must have" products, "must do" experiences and powerful networks -- along with a full complement of support services. A Fortune 100 company with global presence and impact, Motorola had sales of US $42.8 billion in 2006. For more information about our company, our people and our innovations, please visit http://www.motorola.com.

MOTOROLA and the stylized M Logo are registered in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners.(C) Motorola, Inc. 2007

SOURCE Motorola, Inc.

http://www.motorola.com
Discuss.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Moto News: Zander to be replaced by Greg Brown as M CEO

Post by escomm »

:o
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

Robert Galvin Retires, Christopher Galvin (son of Robert Galvin) is forced to step down in 2003 (Motorola's 75th Year in Business) because of such a poor performance as CEO / COB, Edward Zander has been forced to step down in 2007 because of his poor performance as CEO and the lowest employee's morale rating at Motorola's Schaumburg Campus by the internal Human Resources Dept in the company's history.

Well I hope Greg Brown can manage to turn this once great Fortune 50 corporation around and back on track in the next several years! It proves one thing, Robert Galvin is a hard act to follow and duplicate his personal nuturing style throughout the industry, the customers and within Motorola, the company his father Paul Galvin first started in 1928.

Dan
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Critical Connection:
The Motorola Service Station Story

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN= ... eshistorA/
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
copcarguy

Post by copcarguy »

The only thing that is missing in thoes CEO changeover articals is needed at the bottom...

"Adios por favor"
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

Zander did essentially nothing as far as I'm concerned. For this he stands to get 30M for his "retirement". Unfortunately I can't find the news article that I read that in.
Dave
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Post by Dan562 »

A reverse Robin Hood of the 21st Century, $30 M or $13 M or whatever it is, as far as I'm concerned Zander stole from the previous dedicated MOTOROLA working employees, then furloughed them throughout the company and divisions. Then Zander sold off the Automobile Division when it was poised to generate $44 Billion by itself to some German owned manufacture. This was done to raise MOTOROLAs bottom line and it didn't happen but Zander pocketed the $660 M money anyway and received a Financial B-O-N-U-S from Board Of Directors.

I read about Ed Zander in the last quarter of 2003 and his previous track record indicated he was the modern day, Al "The Chain-Saw" Dunlop (a corporate raider) from the early 1980s who would take corporations in financial trouble, take their profitable divisions, chop them up and sell them off leaving the company with nothing in the end. History has a tendency to repeat itself.

Edward Zander was an engineer by profession .... what kind of engineer you may ask, an Engineer Of Disaster and couldn't have proved it more than his time spend at the Circle M Ranch. Old Eddie Zander had no background history of MOTOROLA's ability to develop new and better products for all of the markets. He's just another person that has a MBA but does not know how to put it to good use in positive ways. Of course whatever buy out he receives, he'll be L-A-U-G-H-i-N-G all the way to the bank at the expensive of MOTOROLA, the former employees and it's current end users and customers alike.
Bat2way

Board of Directors Are Co-Conspirators Too

Post by Bat2way »

Just another bad CEO receiving millions in severance/buyout pay by a Board of Directors who are getting theirs too.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”