Upgrading firmware on HT750

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radef
New User

Upgrading firmware on HT750

Post by radef »

Hi,
I've got an HT750 that I'd like to upgrade the firmware on. When I read it in CPS, it lists the firmware version as "unknown". The label on the back of the radio does list a firmware version number, either (but does read TANAPA: PMUE1434A). I've heard mention that R01.xx.xx firmware has to be upgraded differently than R02.xx.xx and above. Can someone provide any info on this?

Also, when trying to upgrade the firmware per the directions in the Motorola software - I click the program button in the software and get an error message which states "Reply from external device contained checksum error". I've upgraded other radios with this setup, so I don't think it's a software/RIB/cable problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: Upgrading firmware on HT750

Post by HLA »

if it's telling you unknown under firmware then you are opening up a saved codeplug, you need to actually read the radio then look at that box to see what it actually is. and yes, if it has old version 1 firmware it needs to be updated to 2 then you can go to the newest. you need more than the upgrade software, rib, and cable to do theese radios, you also need the flash adaptor to boot the radio first.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
radef
New User

Post by radef »

Is there a way to get Version 2 of the firmware update? MOL only gives me access to the latest version. I've got the flash adapter.

You're right - I must have been reading a saved codeplug... Reading the radio reveals it is R01.00.01.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Sorry to Lazarus the thread, but.....

I have a HT750 here for a board member that I'm trying to upgrade the firmware on. When I hit program in the firmware tool (R05.14.03 IIRC), it says there is an invalid checksum in the external codeplug and then fails the operation.

Radio is a HT750 with R01.00.01 firmware.

Motorola says there is no intermediate firmware upgrade necessary, and according to the readme file that came with the firmware tool version 1.xx firmware is supported by the current file. Motorola insists the firmware tool is current and should work with this radio.

This problem occurs with a homebrew flash adapter matched to both the schematic on batlabs (tie pins 1+25 for flash mode) as well as the OEM schematic (tie pins 1+7+25). With my OEM adapter, I get an error message that says SPEB failed, although I think my OEM adapter is b/o since I get that same exact error with no radio attached to the program cable/computer.

Any ideas? BTW-- I can read and write to the radio with no problems at all (ver 6.10.02 CPS) and I always thought Pro Series CPS would correct any bad checksums upon a successful write operation
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i've ran into this quite a few times and i know that people on here have said they've done it and it's supposed to be supported but it's not. when i update it to v2 then it takes the newest firmware. it always gave me the same checksum error but that can't be the case with the dozen i've ran into plus what otheres on here have complained about. so now i just stick with the old fix like they said to do with v3 and v4, just update it to v2 first then it works from there. the first time i ran into that i tried several different housings to rule out the flex, and different cables and different flash adaptors, different computers but it always came down to the same thing, just spend an extra 2 minutes and updat it to v2. and it's not only 750's, it's done that to me on 1250's too. now cdm's take the newest without the v2 step?

the one thing i never understood tho is why it's like that? one of the first thing the flash screen says is erasing eeprom, so if it's erased clean it shouldn't matter about an intermediate step and every time i've asked motorola they can't give me an answer.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

oops
Last edited by escomm on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

escomm wrote:oops
?? Does that belong to another thread or something??

Anyway, I kept the last "1.x only" firmware upgrade which brings the radio to 5.00.03 if you want it. Or, if you kept the old CPS CD's around, they used to provide the latest firmware on them which could bring it up to 3.xx first. Either way it should flash to the latest after that.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

wavetar wrote: ?? Does that belong to another thread or something??

Anyway, I kept the last "1.x only" firmware upgrade which brings the radio to 5.00.03 if you want it. Or, if you kept the old CPS CD's around, they used to provide the latest firmware on them which could bring it up to 3.xx first. Either way it should flash to the latest after that.
yeah that was supposed to be a PM, oops

I got a call from Motorola this morning that said I should try to bring the radio to R03.00.01 and they emailed the zip file, but it would not install on my ML910 at all. Would just run through the extraction of the files and then crapped out on me. It did leave setup.exe and the HT1250_HT750_????.exe processes running but not as an application. The problem is with the ML910 though, the file installed OK on my desktop, but the desktop has no serial port and I'm not going to try a firmware up with a USB->serial converter

So the nice gentleman from TSO Support offered to do the upgrade for me, just have to ship the radio to him.
WayneNero
New User

Post by WayneNero »

radef wrote:Is there a way to get Version 2 of the firmware update? MOL only gives me access to the latest version. I've got the flash adapter.

You're right - I must have been reading a saved codeplug... Reading the radio reveals it is R01.00.01.
I am having the same issues, can someone point me in the right direction. I like programming radios, I can seem to find the correct firmware? i would need to jump to R02 then to at lease R05.15 either way i can't find the firmware? you would think with old radios it would be easy to find?

thanks,

Wayne

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”